Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case hytran equivalent

dixon700 · 2014-05-12 11:01

I believe the transaxle shuttle and brakes all on a 580sk call for case hytran. I will probably be changing the fluids shortly after purchase. Should I get the actual case hytran or does any hydraulic fluid that meets the case specs work?

Replies27
  1. #1melben2014-05-12 11:59

    I recently retired from a Case dealer with whom I have spent my whole working career(52 yrs). I have seen more damaged components, seals swelled up in hydraulic cylinders, excessive gear wear, excessive noise in geartrains,and many other oil related issues. Without going into specifics I was personally threatened with a lawsuit for recommending only Case products as several bought a brand popular here in Pa. that swelled the packings in our 580 series hoes so they had to be put on our rollback and pulled apart with a winch. I fully expect to get flamed for this post but you asked, Being unsure of the quality and the meeting of Case's specs in the hydraulic clutch power shuttle and seeing that that oil bathes the brakes and lubes the bearings and gears as well as filling the torque converter, I cannot recommend any substitute with the xception of one. Right now there is discussion on YTmag's site about suspicion of shortline oils breaking down the adhesive in PTO clutch discs and pictures of a suction screen virtually plugged with seperated lining material. In short, If I were running a later Case piece of equipment I would use nothing but Hy Tran Ultra. It cost one man on the Case forum thousands to have every lined disc in his 1370 ag tractor replaced from running a cheap oil. I could buy a lot of Hy Tran for what his repair cost. FWIW, I also believe HY Gard by JD to be a quality oil. OK guys, no piling on now Mel

  2. #2mitch5042014-05-12 12:22

    Doesn't the Hytran Ultra also have additives to handle water differently than most oils? How sure are you of Hygard's compatibility? not it's quality, but compatibility. I have thought about using it, since the Case dealer is 70 miles, and the JD store is only 8, and I use Hygard in my JDs.

  3. #3north12014-05-12 13:34

    Personally, I would use hytran ultra as I just purchased a 2006 590mII and plan to do the same. It is what is recommended in operators manual. I also use it in a case ih combine so already have it on hand though. By the same token, however; I have a versatile mfwd tractor that has the same transmission as case ih mfwd and it came from the factory with mobil 424, whereas same case-ih tractor comes from factory with hytran. So I use mobil 424 in the versatile tractor. I believe mobil 424 is a direct replacement for hyran and also Kubota udt.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-05-12 17:38

    I had similar experiences when I worked for a Deere dealer with Deere machines and HyGard... In my opinion it's cheap insurance to use what the manufacturer says to use in drive train applications especially. The newer it is the more important that becomes also. :my2c

  5. #5willie592014-05-12 21:12

    Many years ago I had a customer that wanted an alternative in his 580 SK, I filled with a quality name brand oil and the machine developed brake chatter. Drained the oil, re-fill with Hy-Tran, no more brake chatter. I agree with others, it may seem expensive, but it's cheap insurance. Also, it's not like with the motor oil that you change way more often.

  6. #6dixon7002014-05-13 00:38

    It's just I don't know of any case dealers around here... it's a kubota dealer I'm gonna be buying the tractor from... guess I'll have to see if they can get case hytran and get on the case site to find some dealers.

  7. #71466IH2014-05-13 00:42

    A case constuction or case ag dealer will sell it they use the same fluid in both lines of equipment

  8. #8Deeretracks2014-05-13 01:13

    Anymore I stick with OEM fluid as much as possible but I can state that I have run Hygard in place of Hytrans in our 580L and 580SM's w/o issue. They meet the same specs and are designed for the same uses. Plus, Hygard doesn't stink like the Hytrans does. LOL

  9. #9dixon7002014-05-13 01:28

    Found 2 just under 50 miles hetricks and kahle. So if my kubota dealer can't get the hytran I know where to look.

  10. #10JNB2014-05-13 08:10

    I'd read somewhere that New Holland MasterTran is the same as CASE HyTran Ultra. It makes sense, but can anyone verify?

  11. #11dixon7002014-06-07 14:57

    I've read that jd hyguard meets the hytran spec, but not the other way around so is hyguard held to a higher spec and is the best fluid? What is the best possible fluid for my 580k? Idt I should run travelers in everything.

  12. #12dixon7002014-06-09 12:39

    I've also seen that Mobil 424 exceeds hytran spec.

  13. #13rpyne2021-09-16 14:48

    Our old 590 Turbo specifies Case Hy-Trans Plus (MS 1207) for the trans-axle, but I can't find anywhere, even the case dealer, that has it. What is the right oil?

  14. #14amunderdog2021-09-17 13:30

    You can get just about anything delivered to to your door from WWW. Ineedthatthing I live way out in the woods, so i understand. It is difficult locating a supplier sometimes, But they are out there.

  15. #15Bote2021-09-20 16:13

    A bud has used Harvest King ($55 for 5 gallons from Rural King) universal trans-hydraulic fluid in his 580K for several years without any major issues. His machine is older but has half the hours mine does but he's always adding fluid. The previous owner of my 580M used nothing but Hytran from day one. The machine had no leaks so I figured I'd stick with the Hytran. I paid $99 for 5 gallons in December, but in 50 hours of operation I haven't added any. I'll stick with Hytran. Also, I believe Hytran is hygroscopic like brake fluid which means it absorbs water and holds it in solution. Some lubricants aren't so I'd be careful about mixing.

  16. #16alrman2021-09-20 19:18

    Hy-Trans Plus (MS 1207) has now been replaced with Hy-Tran Premium ...... Case dealers that don't read their own literature - shouldn't be dealers..... You will also need to add 3 x bottles of Axle Additive (402982A2) ..... which they also won't know about.....

  17. #17RedRanger062021-10-07 11:19

    Tell me more about this Axle Additive. From your post it seems the Hy-Tran is good for the Power Shuttle but needs the additive in the transaxle? For reference I've got a 1990 580K.

  18. #18gggraham2021-10-07 13:14

    I also worked at a Case dealer for 30 years. On the later models use Hytrans Ultra Only. I agree with you totally.

  19. #19Coaldust2021-10-07 17:43

    I think we just had a Mobile 424 vs Hytrans discussion not too long ago.

  20. #20Chris580c2024-07-09 14:50

    I have a 79 580c wont go fwd. Gonna rebuild fwd clutch, but should i try hy tran first?

  21. #21alrman2024-07-09 17:03

    @Chris580c Sorry mate, no..... it's oil, not a magic potion.

  22. #22cosmaar12024-07-09 18:37

    Oil can stop squeals, random noises, or make things run smoother, but it won’t make it move like you need.

  23. #23Aussiemac2024-07-11 07:17

    Just browsing and it brings my own insecurities. Last year I was changing oil for my friends case 580 sle. However the powershift trans. @alrman you said as it was an old jigger that atr oil was fine to use. Long time ago but is that different oil to the torque converter? And should I also have used this additive spoken about with hy trans in the rear axle?

  24. #24alrman2024-07-14 15:58

    @Aussiemac ATF is what to use for the powershift models & yes the torque converter is part of the transmission, so is fed from the same fill point using the dipstick tube. The axle oil additive (402982A2) should only be used if using CNH Hy-trans in the rear axle.

  25. #25Aussiemac2024-07-15 06:48

    Thank you for clearing that up @alrman . One more sorry, for an old machine what would you recommend to run in the rear axle? Definitely the Hy-trans?

  26. #26Aussiemac2024-07-16 04:33

    Well at the case dealer today, we got on to the correct powershift oil to use. They tell me that the 580lps indeed uses atf, however not the standard vehicle atf. It has to be a heavy fluid or it will do long term damage to the transmission. @alrman does this sound right to you? Keep in mind this is in your same state I’m hearing this info. I’d rather ask you as honestly you’re the only one to trust!

  27. #27alrman2024-07-16 16:38

    As long as it meets Dexron 3 or above that spec