Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case IH 1070 vs. Case 730 which tractor should I pick?

Peter23 ยท 2014-03-11 13:48

Hello, I am getting my first tractor. I own a hobby farm and need a tractor for cleaning snow, cutting grass and cultivating a mid size garden. Which of the 2 tractors would suit my needs better?? The guy with the case HI 1070 lowered the price from 6900 to 5500! Th other guy wants 7750 for the case 730! What do you guys think about the price? Which tractor is better? Any opinion? Please see the links below. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/winnipeg/case-ih-1070/569601142 http://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/winnipeg/case-730/566222860?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Replies5
  1. #1td25c2014-03-11 20:55

    I don't know ? 730 (56 HP) looks to be well taken care of & comes with tire chains . Is it gas or diesel ? 1070 (100 HP) don't look to bad either. Being a bigger tractor it would handle the loader better . Little newer than the 730. I would probably look at both in person & make the decision after I had operated them . Price seems reasonable on both .

  2. #2North Texan2014-03-11 20:56

    All things equal, I'd take the 1070. I've run the bigger models of those same tractors, and I like the 70 series better. Powershift, better power steering, and better A/C. Should have a little more power, and be a little less prone to overheating. But either series were good tractors. "Upgraded" the 1370 to a 2390, and wouldn't do that again.

  3. #3cphillips2014-03-12 18:45

    I have logged many hours on a Case 830 diesel, case-o-matic transmission. Still own it and it is my favorite older tractor I own, I just wish it had a cab. If the 730 your looking at is a diesel and case-o-matic trans I'd choose it but only if it has those two options. The transmission is great for loader work as you can stop by pressing the brake with the engine in gear but also have the ability to lockup the torque converter if necessary for other stuff. Ive have plowed, cultivated, pulled wagons, cut grass and just about everything else with my 830 and it has never let me down. Over 6,000 hours and only one engine rebuild and nothing behind the torque converter had ever been touched. If the 730 is all that and in good shape thats not a bad deal, Ive been personally offered 6500 for my 830 diesel case-o-matic that has no cab or loader and the paint looks ok at best.

  4. #4rjharms2014-03-13 09:38

    I noticed the 730 had a 3 point hitch. Not sure if the 1070 had one. Might make a difference if you plan to use a snowblower on it.

  5. #5Plebeian2014-03-13 19:20

    Weight difference between the two is over 3000 pounds. Most used tractors require parts at some time so have a look around to see what model has the best parts supply. I would probably be looking to put flotation tyres on the front of the 1070.