Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case/Iveco 445M2

alrman ยท 2009-10-27 04:52

Has anyone had any real rebuild experience on these engines? It seems parts availability - in particular OS piston kits (teflon coated) - are non existent through Case here in Australia & it seems in USA also. Are there any alternate non-genuine part suppliers? They are closely related to 4b Cummins - Does anyone know if they the same block assy as cummins QSB 4.5lt?

Replies7
  1. #1inthedirt2009-10-27 18:15

    in 1980(circa) Case and Cummins joined up and formed Consolidated Diesel Corp (CDC) and designed and released the 3.9, 5.9, and 8.3. On the assembly line, 1/2 went to Cummins, 1/2 went to Case. Along comes Mama Fiat in the form of CNH. CNH (Fiat, Case, New Holland, and Ivecco) go together with Cummins and design (or adopt) the 4.5 and 6.7. This engine family is called the NEF (New Engine Family) by CNH. CNH has recently sold their share of CDC back to Cummins and Cummins backed out of the NEF arrangement. So... to answer your question, I don't know for sure, but I would bet that a Cummins 4.5 would at least be a kissin' cousin to a Case 4.5. I don't know that parts would interchange, but it sure wouldn't surprise me! The specifics (water necks, brackets, etc) have Ivecco stamped on them, but the blocks have to be darn close if not the same.

  2. #2alrman2009-11-04 17:37

    gggraham?????? goose ?????? anyone???????

  3. #3alrman2011-01-12 21:29

    might have another one of these to do - thought Id give this old thread a bump

  4. #4alrman2011-03-28 07:21

    Look what I found !

  5. #5MitchSA2011-03-28 13:10

    Wow. Makes for a neat inspection hole

  6. #6John C.2011-03-28 20:18

    I like the crankcase air conditioning. It that a rebuilt engine?

  7. #7gggraham2011-03-29 23:43

    Sorry have never run into engine trouble here so far. Very close to Cummins but I couldn't say for sure if pistons fit.