Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case Model 31 backhoe – how to remove swing cylinders

ranlport ยท 2026-06-19 15:37

Rebuilt all cylinders but the swing on 1959 case backhoe with Model 31 backhoe and Model 32 loader. I can't figure out how to get the swing cylinders off. Have included attachment photos. I'm not sure how to get the head of the cylinder attached to the backhoe (not the tractor end) off. There are two large bolts I can remove and look to be the approach for removal but how would I get those pins (above and below the cylinder rod) out? Any help is appreciated.

Replies17
  1. #1Deere500a2026-06-19 18:20

    Remove the bolt & a pickle fork I think it's a peg pull out of glad head. Not much info

  2. #2Welder Dave2026-06-20 20:54

    It looks a little confusing. If nothing else could you unbolt the the trunnion end from the cylinder and get a better idea how it comes apart?

  3. #3Tenwheeler2026-06-20 21:23

    I never did exactly that but one concern is the pin maybe worn - mushroomed in the bottom and not want to come out? I would start with a wedge in the gap in order to know it is not holding. Then screw a slid hammer into the grease fitting hole. Have the bucket up so there is no pressure there and have someone swing it side to side while hammering. Make a puller to screw into it? Cut the pin in half with a sawzaw and deal with the pin later? Just Ideas.

  4. #4ranlport2026-06-21 09:07

    Thank you for the ideas, I am going to start with removing the large bolts and spread apart the area around the pins to see if they can be removed. I'll update next week.

  5. #5Tinkerer2026-06-22 08:51

    What model tractor is the backhoe on ? I may have the service manual for it. The service manual should have detailed instructions for the removal procedure (maybe). The pins you are asking about are usually not removable. They are part of a trunnion and welded to the cylinder barrel. similar to this one.

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-06-22 22:10

    That's what I would have thought but I wonder how they originally mounted the cylinder? I wonder if the cylinder could be taken a part and the backhoe swung to the side so the barrel could be taken off. Then the piston bolt/nut removed. Then take the pin out of the rod end and slide the rod out of the trunnion.

  7. #7Deere500a2026-06-23 09:51
  8. #8ranlport2026-06-23 12:54

    I believe it is a 430 or 530 but plate no longer on the tractor. That's a nasty looking part. It's been raining here so no new work to report. I wonder if I need to pull the hydraulic cylinder body off and remove the nut at the end that will allow for the hydraulic rod to be pulled out. I would be OK with that but then would have to figure out how to get the seals out of the head. Just another idea, we will see once I start. However, if you have an manual, I would love to look at it. Thanks

  9. #9ranlport2026-06-23 12:59

    Thanks for the figure but not enough detail to help, unfortunately. But thanks again Randy

  10. #10Welder Dave2026-06-23 14:08

    Picture is too blurry to see if the pins are removable. A clearer Pic. would help.

  11. #11Welder Dave2026-06-23 14:09

    That's why I suggested if the pins don't come out. Cleaning everything really good is the first step.

  12. #12Deere500a2026-06-23 15:08

    From eBay.

  13. #13Welder Dave2026-06-24 01:47

    That's a much clearer pic. Pins do appear to be removeable. Might only have to remove one. You may need to thread a bolt into the grease fitting hole to help get the pin out. A slide hammer would be helpful. Just don't go crazy and pull the threads out. I'd use a big chisel or steel wedge to spread the slot on the mounts as wide as possible. A bolt with a jam nut in the grease fitting might allow you turn the pin to help get it out.

  14. #14ps66x42026-06-24 07:35

    Dint spread the ears too much and break the casting

  15. #15Tinkerer2026-06-24 07:51

    The pin that is highlighted in the image is the rod eye not the cylinder rotation pin(s) that you want to remove from the backhoe frame. IMHO of course.

  16. #16Deere500a2026-06-24 11:21

    It's likely a 320 or 530 not a 580. It's 4 dowel pins #25514 upper & lower in the gland head on the swing cylinders,remove clamp bolt & open the clamp a hair bottom pin should fall out once done.

  17. #17Welder Dave2026-06-24 19:59

    The pic. is a little confusing but does show 2 different pins. I think they have to be removeable so the cylinder can be installed.