Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I have a 1985 JCB 3CX – rear actor issue.

cdmsjtr · 2026-06-20 05:22

The rear actor slowed down within a hour or so until it would not move right. I removed the spool 1 cleaned it (was gloopy) and it moved right but not left. Stripped and cleaned it down, and replaced bottom spring, also cleaned top cartridge (at the back of the spool), removed and cleaned other spools that look perfect (and the cartridge at the top of the second spool). No change so now intend to remove the bottom cartridges, and swap everything spool and cartridge for 1 and 2 (spool 1 is left right). I also tried swapping hoses and it moved left about 20 degrees (before had no movement - right was ok but 29 degrees is against body) and then stopped. Also if I push the actor with engine off it won’t move. When trying to go left you can hear what sounds my like hydraulic pressure that mechanical issues. 1) Any suggestions welcome 2) Eveytime I open this I capture the hydraulic fluid (don’t keep it) is there a way to stop it emptying (there is no nut in the bottom of the spool block) 3) any one know a jcb 3cx 1985 mechanic near Liverpool

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-06-20 18:38

    You should have this moved to the backhoe loader forum. Would likely get better response there.

  2. #2cdmsjtr2026-06-20 18:39

    How do I do that ?

  3. #3Tones2026-06-20 19:24

    @CM1995 can do it for you,he's an administrator, send him a message

  4. #4cdmsjtr2026-06-20 19:25

    Thank you

  5. #5CM19952026-06-20 20:19

    Done! Best of luck.