Have an 07 case 445 that I'm doing some service work on. Both fuel filters are in, just can't seem to find the hand primer plunger to fill the filter up with some fuel. Any idea where it's located/what that one looks like. It's hiding on me. First time working in a case skid.... Any help will be appreciated. Thx.
The parts book doesn't show one that I could see. Just the fuel pump on the block. You said you changed both fuel filters. The parts book shows an additional inline one in fuel line. You could wrap a rag around an air hose blow gun and put no more than 5 psi in the fuel tank filer.
If there is a section of fuel line hose, coming from the tanl, you could also install a primer bulb, with check valve...
Is there not a lever on the fuel pump?
Thank you for your thoughts!! Yes, did end up finding the lever on the fuel pump. Not exactly easy to find it "way down there with all the hoses in the way". Just trying to do what the operator manual says in terms of utilizing the hand primer plunger. Interestingly enough the manual also says to not put any fuel in the fuel filter. Well I must have pumped the lever 200x and there was no more than a trickle in the bottom of the filter. So off the filter went and got filled with diesel to the rim. with the air screw backed out I pumped the lever another 50 times and a few bubbles came off the top. Hope that does the trick. That's as far as I got. Test it all out next couple of days when I got time and put a new battery in. Yes there are 2 filters. an in line and a fuel/water seperator with a drain at the bottom. Thanks again for the help
Your obviously new to this piece of equipment so I'll throw out some wisdom.. Once your ready to fire it up.. You've already introduced AIR into the fuel system..by changing the filters. Once it fires up.. HOLD the throttle 1/2 to wide open.. until the air has escaped{you'll know} IF u let up on the accelerator & it dies.. you have to go thru & bleed the ENTIRE system again.. CHECK THE ENGINE OIL BEFORE starting the engine.. you don't wanna be reving an engine that's low on oil..
Looks like the same pump they use on 1845c. If you move the lever and it doesn't pump, it's probably stopped on the high spot of the pump lobe. You need to turn engine over 1/2 a revolution and get it off the lobe that drives the pump. Bump the engine with the key. Then the pump lever will work. You should feel some resistance on the lever. Either that or the lift pump is bad.
Yes. New to me piece. First time the cab s been up. Thank you for the great advice. Yes kinda fearing fire up time. Agree there s already air in the system..
The reason for not filling filters with fuel is that unfiltered fuel goes directly to your very expensive injection system.
"I'LL" fill a filter up in a heart-beat.. I'm not dumb enough to add dirt to my filter.. not yet anyway.. lol I cant remember WHO it was/is that says they'll fire anyone that fills a filter up before installing{member} I'm just the opposite.. If I see anyone standing there pumping a hand primer to fill a filter up.. your fired.. & just WHERE is ALL this dirt coming from?? lol
Cummins keeps everybody happy: their new filter comes with a cap in the middle, so the fuel only goes into the outside of the filter. You can do that with most fuel filters, just don't pour your DIRTY fuel into the center of the filter.
That’s the ticket Delmer. Up here in the north country we have lots of problems with condensation etc. I see what collects in the Goldenrod filters we have on our slip tanks and I sure ain’t about to introduce that to my fuel systems unnecessarily.
DB2 I see your point. Never thought of it that way..... However... had to be done/take my chances. On another note. All went well with the fire up. No air in the system. She's good to go, ready for some dirt or snow. Off to the next project.
Fill fuel filter on older diesel engine probably isn't a big deal. Their injectors holes were large and they run relatively low pressures. But diesel engine have changed. Common rail engines need extremely clean fuel. No water and the diesel needs to be filter to between 2-5 micron. They run high pressures and very small injector holes. Any water or particles in the fuel can causes wear and problems like plugged injectors. Prefilling on those is very bad. There's also no need since they self prime. https://www.dtechcanada.com/blogs/news/why-common-rail-fuel-injectors-fail The fleetguard filter is really smart however. The center hole is the unfiltered side that leads to the pump and injectors. By blocking it off, it forces the fuel to go through the outside holes and be filtered as it fills the center.