Wondering if anyone has any experience with the powershift 580 or 90. The sales man I was talking to said he deosn't recommend it. He's usually fairly conservative fella so I tend to believe him. But didn't really elaborate as to why. I've run Cat wheel loaders (950) and thier really slick for loading trucks. So I thought the hoe would be as well.
I think Cat came out with the powershift transmission in 1959 and it was an excellent design. I remember reading on the internet somewhere about the guy that invented that compact unit. I believe Cat said at the time that full power shifts from forward to reverse in their dozer would not do harm to the transmission. The Cat scrapers in the early 60's had an 8 speed forward powershift with the direct drive in speeds 3-8. Phil
Yeah... Case powershift's aren't real great. I had a 580SM2 with powershift and we had problems with it after only 1400hrs. I have heard a lot of guys telling me to run from the case powersahift unit. Their standard 4spd floor shift works great.
Burnout, I really in the dark about the new Case hoe's. How long has Case made the powershift model and how is it controlled(shift lever)? Does the shift lever have 4 speeds, is there a lock-up for roading? What about reverse? Thanks , Phil
Burnout , could you elaborate a bit as to the type of problem you had, I have been a mechanic with a Case dealer all my working life (i'm 63)and we have sold many powershifts in the 580-590 units and have never had one out. I have replaced many F/R switches on the standard 4 speed shuttle units and a few charge pumps on same, the shift lever gets out of place requireing the lever to have to be removed , shiters recentered and shifter reinstalled, a real pain laying down , looking up into a mirror to get all lined back up. I'm not saying it is a bad unit as we have hundreds running but the powershift has been faultless so far, what kind of trouble can I expect from them in the future. It may help me in a diagnostic situation in the future. The only annoyance that customers have shared with me was the early units starting in second gear and dropping to first after getting moving when first is selected. I would not be hesitant at all to buy a PS for my own business were I a contractor base on my years of experience around many un its....Mel
The problem I had with my powershift unit was I would start out at an intersection in 2nd or 3rd, the unit would shift down to 1st and stay there. I also had a couple times when I would be roading and the machine wouldn't shift out of 4th. It only happened a few times in about a month but it was enough to turn me off the powershift. I will admit though, one call to the Case dealership and they were out there that afternoon to diagnose the problem. They took the backhoe the next morning and we got it back a few days later and never had another problem. Case has made the powershift unit for awhile now, I remember seeing a couple 590 Super L's with powershift so I would say about 10 years? Yes you shift with the shuttle lever, its a 4spd unit. I would definately buy a Case 580 though. I do love them. I am a die hard John Deere man at heart, I grew up with 310's all around me, but I was converted rather quickly to Case backhoes. In the 2years I spent on 580's I put a pile of miles on roading my machine all over London, did tons of digging and rattled my brain with a breaker and hoe pack. I do believe there is not a finer product out there.
Thanks all. I'm thinking of also trying a Rezloh edge on my SL this year for more power in to a pile. If it works my next machine will be a PS unit. 4200 HRS and runnin great.
I wish I had a powershift. I really liked the ones I ran, takes one more thing off your mind. I think the biggest problem is that there's just more things to break. The trade off is maybe a little less reliability, but for the increased ease of operation, I'd take one.
I hardly ever noticed the advantages of the powershift on our M. I always thought that 2nd gear in the Case was perfect for runnin around a jobsite. And if I decided to downshift into first going into a pile I always thought it was a decent shift into 1st. I have got used to the powershift on our 710's though. It is an awesome option on a machine.
case powershift problem HELP? case 590sm power shift harsh shifting. will pull front wheels off ground when shifting. have checked trouble codes, valve body off, and checked all coils. also pressure tested clutch packs and cant find any problems. i know case does not use the clark hurth power shift anymore. can anybody help me? thanks
Im honestly not a big fan off powershift. Ive never run a case with it but I have on Cats and Deeres. The 420D was terrible compared to a normal tranny. The deeres were as far as Ive seen are just as powerful with or w/o powershift.
I ran a deere 310 with a powershift and was impressed. It had over 3000 hrs and ran/shifted great!
Welcome to the forum kenaustin :drinkup...been to your town a few times to see the gorge. Phil
I have a 98 590 SL PS with no problems at all. I love it. Just my 2 cents.
Hello to everyone on this forum. I am new here and I am from Slovenia, if anybody ever heard for my country. I apologize in advance because of my bad English. So, I need a little bit help about Case 590 Super LE Backhoe loader with Powershift gear. I bought it a few weeks ago and now I am repairing it. I bought it for farm works. It was made in 1998 and now it has about 11000 working hours. Where the problem is? : As I told before, it has the Powershift gear and there is a small problem (I hope it is small). It has 4 steps and in 1st and 2nd gear step, I think everything is ok. But when I drive it on the road in 3rd or 4th step, every little rise of the road cause a big fall of the drive speed of the tractor. Motor runs at the normal turns (~1800 rpm) all the time, of course. I do not have user manual for this equipment and I do not know if there are any settings to do on the LCD control panel of Powershift gear which can influence to this what happens in the higher gear steps? Or maybe there is a fault inside the gearbox? Are there any settings to do, to set the oil pressure level for each of gear step separately or the pressure is that what oil pump can get from itself? Oil level in the gearbox is higher than required for ~ 5cm ( 2"). I dont know... is it ok if there is so much more oil than required? Oil is clean like new. I think oil filter is ok too, but I do not change it. Does the filter has a big influence to oil presure level? Is it positioned on the input side of the pump or on the output side? Thank you all for answers in advance.
Sounds to me like your torque converter is slipping. I'm not sure exactly how you would go about ch going it though. I ran a 780C for about 15 yrs and that would really slow down on hills. If you drive into a pile can you make the tires spin easily? You should be able to for sure in 1st gear, maybe in 2nd.
Thank you for your quick answer. Now I can not test the tire spin because of repairing some things on the electricity and changing some parts on the backhoe. But I think it can easily spin in the 1st step, not sure in 2nd. First what I think when drive it the first time on the road, was the torque converter malfunction. But then I made a test: I stop the tractor under the small hill, put the motor in idle and then change speeds from 1st up to 4th speed. In first speed tractor moves forward slowly as it is normal, in the 2nd step it speed up a little bit. But in the 3rd step it almost stops... maybe it moves just a little, but rapidly slowly than in the 2nd step. Then I switch to 4th step and tractor do not have enough torque on the wheels to move further uphill and starts to move backwards. Motor runs all the time at the ~1000 rpms. After this test my opinion about torque converter malfunction changes and I start to doubt about the gearbox functionality. What do you think about this?
Hi there b-pod, Try the stall tests in this post here, they might show that your torque converter is pretty normal for a CASE backhoe Report back and someone will help further // good luck !
Hello, AU.CASE! This test is perfect. I am very grateful to you for sending this link. Thank you very much. It can lasts maybe a week to complete the backhoe again to be able to make this test (it is my free time project ). But my first opinion when i saw this table of rpms was that everything is probably in good condition. But I can't believe this machine slow down so rapidly when only "see" the road rise?? Why then almost 100 HP motor if in can use only maybe 1/2 of its power?? Thank you again.
My pleasure Sir ! I have to say that my CASE 580SK will slow almost to stationary on any very very small rise in 4th, will take on reasonable hills in 3rd and most steeper places in 2nd gear, 1st well it will spin front // rear into a stockpile. Let us know how you get on // !
Welcome to HEF b-pod! There is an auto shift mode & manual mode on the powershift. Press the button on the end of the controller to alternate between the two modes. From memory an "A" should be on the display when in "Auto". That maybe all that is required - the computer will downshift as required....... maybe.......
That's the nature of torque converter drive. Newer loaders have a lockup feature so they basically become direct drive. You'll just have to get used to shifting down for the hills.
Hello to everyone! Its my the best decision to log on this forum. :drinkup In other case I disassemble my Case to prefactors for nothing. Of course i Will report. I will publish some photos too if this forum enables this. Anybody know where the torque converter is placed at this Case 590 sle? Is it placed inside the gearbox or outside on the place where normal disk clutches are placed - between the motor and the gearbox but outside the gearbox? Thank You AIrman for suggestion. But this machine has an extra LCD display equipped with button for switching between gear shift modes (I suppose this button is for that purpose), but I dont have user manuals for this machine and do not know how to manage with it. Maybe it is intended to do some tests on the gear too.. I really do not know. I have asked my Case spare parts dealer several times to provide me user manual but nothing from him. I wish a nice working day to everyone
The button I am speaking of is on the FWD / REV control lever - in your left hand. The button on the end of the lever changes from auto to manual. :thumbsup
Are you sure? It works as a manual clutch on my Case. When I press this button machine stops and when I relieve it machine start to drive again.. ?? If it is a mode switch (manual/auto) how can I know in which mode it is currently??
Finally i will get User manual for this machine. Tomorrow it will arrive, dealer said. I hope it really will.
It needs to be selected when engine is running & the machine is in neutral. As I said earlier, I recall the letter "A" appearing on the display. If the button is pressed while driving it should kick down the gears. If yours is neutralizing the transmission - there maybe a fault.
Which type of Case do you have? My is 590 Super LE, 1998. Seems to me, there is no fault. Previous owner says that it is "manual clutch" Maybe he is wrong, I don't know. It really works like manual clutch. And how does it works when it is on "auto"? When reach enough speed, it change to a higher step or something?
Hello to everyone, Today I made a stall test. Oil temperature was not correct but I think this does not bring a big mistake to the results. So, If I test the machine in 3. or 4. gear step the result is "no good". If test is made in 1. or 2. gear step, result is ok. My suspicions of 3. and 4. gear step malfunction maybe can be now justified. After this test I think, malfunction of torque converter is not likely. Do anybody know what happens if oil filter on gearbox is clogged? I am waiting for new filter.. maybe changing of filter will improve a little higher steps functionality. I hope so. I made test of different modes of gearbox operation. It works like this: When it is in 2. step and I short press the button on the step selection lever, it downshift the step. When I press it again, it upshift the gearstep. This work only in 1. and 2. step, no matter forward or reverse. When I press and hold the button it really works like manual clutch. When it is released, clutch connect motor again. But I can not find the Auto mode of gear. Maybe computer on this machine is a little different from some others... maybe.
So, after changing oil and oil filter on the gearbox and after maybe 15 working hours with this machine, functionality of gearbox improve rapidly. Almost unbelivable. I realy do not know where is the reason for such improvement, but machine goes uphill 100% better than before.
Hello to every one, I have an other question about Case 590`s powershift; The front wheels on my Case do not have full torque when I swich gear to 4x4. When back wheels slips, front wheels do not slips or maybe slips only in case they are in a very slippy mud. Do anybody know if there are some settings to do to improve the rigidness of power transmition to the front axle?? I heard from one past user of the same type Case backhoe that there on the gearbox it can be adjusted gearbox oil pressure for front drive clutch to set the transmition torque to front axle to avoid damage when machine is for example, mainly used on hard terrains like paved roads, but he dont know the details of this settings. Do anybody know how to do this adjustment?
Hello b-pod! There is no such adjustment for the powershift transmission. - It is what it is. 4wd should not be engaged on hard surfaces.
Thank you for answer. So what do you think is the reason for such problem? I know that it should not be engaged but previous user(s) maybe do not know that I have opened one of the front cycloidal reduction gear at the front wheel because of sealing ring leaking. I do not see any abnormal wear of the transmission, so I suppose the reason for this malfunction is not in misuse of 4x4
I'm having a hard time finding the manual for power shift unit which is on a 1999 Case 580 Super L Series 2. What does the "M" button do on the Unit? How do I get it to go into Manual mode. What does the button do at the end of the F/N/R lever do? I push it and nothing seems to happen. Please help! =(
Hey what does the button at the end of the F/N/R shifter do on your power shift? What does the M button do next to the screen?
Geargrinder send me your email I can send you the operator manual.
[email protected]
Hello to everyone again, Do anybody know which hydraulic oil grade is correct for hydraulic system at Case 590SLE??
Here is the complete manual. -----> http://www.ci.moraine.oh.us/pdf/Streets/Case 580 Super L Backhoe Manual.pdf
Thank you wery much for this link. So it is only Case TCH oil suitable for this mashine? Hydraulic oil HLP32 or HLP46 is not suitable?
b-pod ; The manual I posted the link to is for a 580SL. I couldn't find the 590 service manual. After owning your 590 for nearly three years I would recommend that you purchase the service manual you need. I see you live in Slovenia. The manual is easily purchased here in the USA. Case Hy-Tran Ultra took the place of TCH. Any premium hydraulic oil that meets the Case specifications should be ok. I am not familiar with HLP 32 or HLP 42 so I cannot make a judgement on it.