Hi All Have an old case 480c. rear end seems shot . Is it easy to swap in a Whole 580CK rear in ? Left side wheel locks up and neither wheel will free spin in neutral. Brakes were done last year . on blocks the right wheel will spin in gear left side is still locked . Might be able to get a 580ck rear and if that is an easier job to do with a straight swap would do that . Thanks Ed
I would first make sure that the parking brake cross shaft is free. And if that is free make sure that the brake is releasing. Some time the slave cylinder will rust up and hold the brake on.
Re did the brakes last year Never did put the parking brake back on . back bucket is great stop.
I agree, best to make sure it's not a brake locked up. Remove your floor, for easy access. The brake cover can be removed for inspection, and tied back, if the slave is working okay. Replace the cover bolts with shorter 1" long bolts if you move the machine. The diff cover is easy to remove at this point and gives a clear view of all the diff parts. The 580CK trans-axle may use a different loader frame mounting arrangement, and has a torque tube attached normally. Some of the diff parts are the same. Phil
Sorry, I may not have interpreted that question correctly. You may be thinking just about just switching the carrier assembly with crown attached, also the pinion shaft. The pinion and crown gear may be the same, but I don't think the carrier is. If you could match the part#'s up on CNH then you would know for sure. I had a 530 or 580CK carrier once that I tried to use in either a B or a C. There was a problem with fitting the side gear clearance, it required machining and was never quite right. Still many of the parts are interchangeable and if one has an old transaxle, it's a good idea to keep it for parts. Phil
Well I got all the muck off the machine with a hot water pressure washer Pulled the 2 top covers off and drained out the gear oil . all looks good so far no teeth kicking loose in the bottom . Machine still in neutral but still cant spin wheels guess I'll pull the brakes monday or tuesday and see if that frees it up .