Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case “Super” designation

Manborg ยท 2010-11-15 07:52

Hi folks, I'm a bit new to the Case line. Does the "Super" designation mean anything specific on their various models? A colleague told me they were the turbo models but this doesn't appear to be correct.

Replies17
  1. #1mitch5042010-11-15 12:24

    It actually means different things depending on the model. It does not mean the turbo model. with a K and a superk the super was an updated machine with a totally different drive system, and they discontiued the k with the introduction of the superk. with the newer models it is a slightly stronger machine, produced concurrently with the basic series, but the differences depend on the series. I don't know about the superE. The case website should have more info. On the turbo model it says "turbo"; my superk has no turbo, and don't think my friends superm does either.

  2. #2Manborg2010-11-15 15:09

    That was kind of the impression I got -- that it varied from one series to another. I can get the specs from the manufacturer's site, but weight and horsepower don't always tell you "the big picture" -- although there doesn't seem to be much of a big picture in this instance. Thanks for the feedback.

  3. #3JS580SL2010-11-17 20:32

    As far as L and M series, the L and M are the smallest lowest hp. L/M turbo same machine added a turbo. The Super L/M jump up in size weight and horsepower, and the 590SL/M is the biggest in the series.

  4. #4Bill Smith2010-11-18 07:47

    (( super )) I have a Case 580 Super E . Same machine right out of the box . It has no turbo no 4 wheel drive , But the advantage it had for the first time was Case instaled Cumins engines into the 580 series

  5. #5fpgm042010-11-19 21:53

    The Super designation implies more to performance than engine type. Generally, the Super models accomplish better performance through higher flow hydraulics. On the Super K, this also happen to included a turbo engine. On the L series the Super L had a turbo, but I believe you could also get a plain L with a turbo option. The M series 3 models all have turbo engines, but here again higher performance is achieved with different hydraulic pumps (among other things) on the SM models.

  6. #6mitch5042010-11-19 23:23

    A SuperK does not have a turbo; a SuperK Turbo does. The main difference in the super K is a transaxle, instead of a transmission. The K was discontinued with the introduction of the SuperK

  7. #7gggraham2010-11-20 00:36

    Up until the L series all Case backhoes had Construction King on them. Eg 580CK then it became 580CK series B which was shortened to 580B. Followed by C,D,E,K. All these models had Construction King on the fenders or hood. Technically they were all Construction King models C,D,E,K series. The 580D was the first to get a Super designation for A 580D had 60hp, a super D had 66hp. Next was the E, and all 580E's are Super E, not sure about that, try looking up a 580E on case parts. The 580E was always a Super E and I know some machines didn't even say Super on them. They were 69hp with turbo 60hp without. The first series K got no designation as Super as it was a model change year. The 580K had 69hp with turbo 60 without. The 580K Series III was the improved K and I think it had 71hp. The next series out was the Super K and again they had more hp than the 580K. A 580K with turbo had 69hp, a super K with turbo had 75hp. The Super K was like the E series in that both turbo and non turbo were called Super K . Next was the L series, a plain 580L had 75hp, a super L had 91hp then finally came the M series , a 580M has 76hp, a 580m turbo had 80hp, a 580 Super M had 90hp. The super was intended to reflect an increased HP rating and of course every year they increased hp so the Super stayed on the machine and construction king disappeared. Now the new N series is coming , the plain N has 79hp and the Super has 92hp.

  8. #8mitch5042010-11-20 12:09

    gggraham does a 580k series III have a transaxle(i.e. shifter on the side) or did thst start with the SK?

  9. #9gggraham2010-11-20 21:37

    Yes a 580K Series 3 does have a transaxle. Serial #JJG020000 and after have a transaxle.

  10. #10mitch5042010-11-21 15:47

    Oh, Ok I always thought SuperK started at JJGO20000. I had never heard of a series 3 untill I found this forum last year.

  11. #11buckfever2010-11-25 10:47

    now how about the super m +. seen one on a job around here. Looks like it could almost keep up with my deere

  12. #12csthompson122010-11-25 12:29

    case supers are good

  13. #13lgammon2010-11-28 19:47

    the cylinders are a lot bigger on the super machines

  14. #14AU.CASE2011-01-17 06:01

    Really interesting thread. My Super K is French make, 1995, common in Australia and has the 'XP' decal on the rear windows, it stands for "eXtra Performance" // (alrman told me that much - day1 // hef) . To locate a 580SK with sideshift in the parts surfer I have to use; 580SK CASE LOADER BACKHOE for the model. It comes up there as a 580SK, Super K, Prestige and Servopower loader backhoe. Which one is correct, I guess it's "Super K" or at least that is what I assumed. View attachment 73713 View attachment 73712

  15. #15alrman2011-01-17 15:36

    Super K is correct AU CASE. The Prestige model did make an appearance in Australia. I only know of one that went to all machinery shows & the like to get opinions from market. It was not well recieved - the servo controls made it very expensive & the complexity of the design (for that era) shyed buyers away. I believe that machine did sell, eventually - don't know where it ended up?

  16. #16AU.CASE2011-01-17 16:47

    Thanks alrman, now I am trying to track down a replacement set of decals for the cab as the RHS window is new and looks a bit odd without the tan head bars, can't locate them anywhere on the parts surfer, so am trying my US dealer contact, no luck from him so far though. Hope you are doing 'ok' with the flooding there, it has been a serious time, sadly for many, that's Australia, floods on one side // bushfire on the other!

  17. #17nilzlofgren2011-01-18 17:10

    The 580K after S/N 20000, is a "phase 3", not a "series 3"