Been trying to find a reasonably priced alternative for Case TCH fluid, traveler premium at Tractor Supply claims to meet TCH specs but cant find any data to back it up. In the PDF below that lists Case specs on fluid this now confuses me even more, Case recommends LOW TEMPERATURE HY-TRAN ULTRA (MS1209) as a TCH alternative (second fluid down on the page) but if you look at the specs for CASE TCH FLUID (MS1210) (fifth fluid down) it more matches the first fluid CASE IH HY-TRAN ULTRA (MS1209) specs (first on the page) but is not recommended either on this sheet or by the local dealer as a replacement and conveniently the low temp stuff is more $$$ too, can anyone with more smarts than me weigh in on this?? also from my extensive research I seem to have found about a 50/50 success rate vs horror stories from people that switched to HY-TRAN ULTRA (MS1209) in TCH required machines
The traveler premium should be ok to use. It is a multi grade (10w30). I prefer a iso /aw 32. But don't even consider a 303 grade oil, ever.
Mobil is running a rebate right now on their universal tractor hydraulic fluid, making it cheaper than tractor supply. If you can find it locally. WI has Fleet Farm, it may be in similar farm supply chains. Nige, who should know if anybody would, says don't buy "bob's gas and groceries" brand, and Mobil is definitely not. 303 was an inadequate oil that was specified for the first generation of wet brakes and clutches, I'd only use it in farm tractors without wet brakes or clutches, nothing wrong with it for that application.
"Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries" actually, but you got the idea. With a name like Tractor Supply it gives me the impression they built their business selling to farmers, and that in itself would be enough to put me off buying anything like oil from them. "Never mind the quality, feel the width....." Mobil used to produce Cat-branded oils, I'm not sure if they still do
Compare the specs of the TCH against Chevron THF 1000, or MobileDTE 424 and see if they're close.
Mobil 424 meets Volvo specs for hydro and wet brake oil. Not "super" though, so you'd have to stick with regular maintenance vs extended drain. I kinda lean on 424 as my 'everything' fluid
That's good to know, Mobil 424 is the one that Fleet Farm and others have started carrying recently. Hopefully that will cut down on the use of 303 fluid... Kinda like Rotella T became much more widely available before that.
From the PDF link above, page 2 ..... Case IH Low Temp Hy-Tran Ultra MS1209 meets all performance requirements of the former Case MS1206, MS1210, and International Harvester B-6 specifications. Low Temp Hy-Tran Ultra may be used in all applications where Case PTF, TCH and International Harvester Low Temp Hy-Tran fluids were formerly recommended. My 580SL manual says to use TCH in the hydraulic system and Hy-Tran in transmission, differentials and finals. If I read it right I could also use the Hy-Tran in the hydraulic system. It would just be easier to have one oil for all. Would there be any problems with the Hy-Tran for hydraulics??
No, the hydraulics don't need Hy-tran though. It's just $$$, and additives that aren't needed.
As long as it's not going to give me trouble I will use the Hy-Tran. At $10 a gallon and other oils are not that much cheaper. I am rebuilding cylinders, replacing hoses, fixing leaks. Hoping I won't need to add much additional oil in the future.
The history of the development of Hy-Tran is pretty interesting if one has time to read a little. Heritage Iron magazine had a good article about it a couple years ago. I will not try to paraphrase as it cold outside and most of us down here get “thick oil” in their “main gearbox” on their shoulders when it gets cold.
It depends on if the machine is under warranty or not, if its under warranty and it states you need TCH, you'd better stick with it, if not under warranty, its your call. The last I checked, the clutch packs in certain machines still required TCH to be run. The component maker who's parts go into the machines provide a recommendation, sometimes the manufacter themselves make the components and their designers come up with the recommendations, but whoever it was came up the TCH recommendation for clutch packs and disc's in certain Case machines. I own and run many Case machines, sat on both sides of this discussion many times, so here goes just MY opinion. If you can afford a 200,000 dollar plus machine you might be able to afford the extra 20 bucks a pail on the correct oil to stick in that machine, if your machine is used and cost 10,000 bucks and you only use it a few hours a year, don't think it'll make a huge difference in ten years from now what oil you put in it or where you buy the oil from, the main thing this is this, maybe put some oil in to bring it up to the level required when it needs it might be a larger factor in how many years you get out of it before having problems. I know some that will swear by TCH, others who will swear at it and claim the issues they've had are caused by TCH, its a personal judgement call on your part. As for buying oil from anywhere, look at the spec listed on the oil, if the spec is for your machine, even if they also sell groceries, who cares, my local Deere, Case Ih, Komatsu and Cat dealers also have free popcorn and sell oil as well, doen'st mean their oil is any better or worse than fleet farms, none of them processed the oil themselves, they all bought it from someone, only the spec will tell the quality.
I found VP Racing J20A Plus at Tractor Supply for cheaper than Traveller. Label says it's compatible with (CASE) 134, 145, MS 1204, 1205, 1206, 1207, 1209, 1210. I'm looking at this for the shuttle on my '75 CASE 580B. The Service Manual calls for TCH. Anyone see any major issues with this?
See Post #4 above............
It is not a premium grade oil. I would never consider using it. The Traveller Premium is a better choice and it meets Case specs. Trying to save a couple of dollars on a cheap oil can be real costly later on.
I agree. Good quality oils and filters are the cheapest insurance policy you can ever buy for any machine.
I usually use cheap oil to flush out a water-contaminated system on smaller old equipment and then replace it with the good stuff depending on the type of machine especially if its my own
And that’s about all cheap oil is good for IMO.