Does anyone have any experience with the above grease on a backhoe/loader? I just bought a case of it but I don't have any experience with greasing a big machine like this. I assume NLGI2 is NLGI2 but after reading through this forum a bunch it sounds like there is a lot of variety of it. This stuff had very good reviews, but I figured I should ask here too, in case anyone has any horror stories. Also, it sounds like I should have greased before now. Live and learn, I guess.
I use the Schaeffer moly on virtually everything that isn't a high speed bearing. Basically all pins, bushings and sliding surfaces get it. Depending on time of year and application we use NLGI 1,2 or 3. We grease daily, sometimes more with heavy use. So far we have used it on backhoes, CTL's, dozer, excavator, mowing decks, dump truck pins, trailer shackles and a ton of attachments. Even use it in ball joints and rod ends. Really seems to work well and lasts longer. The NLGI3 is some seriously thick grease but works well on the excavator bucket pins. Previously we used a variety of the red sticky greases and this is tons better. Costs more per tube but overall we use less. Less mess too. We keep a lithium grease for anything with higher speed bearings. U-joints and such.
I've run through a couple of kegs of Schaffer Synthetic Moly grease. Seems a little thin at times but most synthetics do. It pumps easier in the colder weather. I run it in everything, including bearings, with no problems. Depending on which machine I am running, I grease every 4-10 hrs of use. There is no such thing as over-greasing a joint. It just delays replacement time and associated costs.
Thanks guys, this makes me feel better (other than my lack of greasing so far). It's similar responses to the reviews I saw, glad to hear folks are doing well with it.
I keep 3 types of Schaffer grease on my service truck 1 for pins & bushings 1 for bearings 1 for breaker hammer All are