For the last week or so the ac would sometimes not work. It was always at the end of the day after sitting a couple of hours. It would work fine all day and the machine would be shut off and on several times. It would work again the next morning and be fine all day again. Now it doesn't work at all. The compressor does not turn on. The ac switch light goes on and the blower works fine. Fuses are fine. With my limited knowledge I checked and there doesn't seem to be power at the compressor. Any ideas? I will call the dealer because it's under warranty, but I am over 60 miles away and will have to pay them to pick it up and return it. If there is anything I can check or replace please let me know. Thanks, Doug
possibly freon pressure too low I dont know about the Case but bobcat has a pressure switch... if pressure is out of range it will not let the pump turn on
Thanks, maybe I'll try adding a little freon tomorrow and see if the compressor kicks on.
Be careful not to overcharge it, then the dealer might not warranty it. Overcharge can also damage the compressor
Good point. I called the dealer and he said it was OK to add a little freon. Couldn't get it to take any. Maybe because the compressor doesn't run? Dealer said they will send someone out to take a look at it.
If you can refrigerant, you can also check to see if any is present.
Do you have some a/c gauges to hook up? Like above, check the valve and see if there is anything coming out first. If its completely out, you will need to vac it and see if it holds. If not you have a leak in the system somewhere that will need fixed before you go any farther.
I can't add any refrigerant. I believe that there is plenty of refrigerant in the system because when the compressor did still kick on, it got very cold, even when it was om the 90's.
I assume you are talking about checking the valve on the low side? There doesn't seem to be any signs of leakage there. Since the compressor won't run, the readings were about 85 psi on both the high and low side. Which I think is what it's supposed to be when the compressor doesn't run. The ac would intermittently stop working, but only after the machine was off and restarted. It would work great for several hours when it was in the 90's. I would shut the machine off several times during the day and it would work fine. Then at some point when I restarted the machine the compressor would not start. This happened several times and then the next morning it would work normally again for most of the day. Now it has not worked at all for several days. I'm kinda glad that in a way that it doesn't work at all now. Should be easier for the dealer to find the problem than dealing with it going out intermittently. Now I just have to wait for the dealer to come out.
Alright, now we're getting somewhere. 85psi static is sufficient.
#29 thermostat is suspect #1. It has capillary tube into evaporator. It can be jumpered. #47 low side switch is next suspect. It can also be jumpered. As an aside, does the condenser fan come on when AC is enabled?
Yes, the condenser fan does come on. I assume the parts are all behind the seat in the cab. I'll pull the cover and try to take a look at it when I get a chance, thanks. Will it be obvious how to jump the thermostat and low side switch?
Yup. Both are two wire.
Well, I started taking things apart to remove the cover and check things but decided to just wait for the dealer to come out. These machines aren't made for old arthritic people to work on. I spent as much time trying to recover dropped screws as i did with the removal. I might have gone further if I had a repair manual to guide me too. But after 18 screws, a bunch of push pin things amongst all the other items and still only part way there, I'm done. Called the dealer and they will be out Monday morning. Thanks for the help.
funny you would mention the Box of Unhappiness. That's were I am today
I found out I was going at it wrong. Thought I could just remove the cover from inside the cab. Now I'm waiting for the dealer to come pick up the machine to fix it. Good luck with yours.
yeah it has to come all the way out, and then they did some diabolical things to attach the harness inside. Make Case pay for it
Did you find the problem? I have similar symptoms with my TR310B.