Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case TR320 Low Flow Auxiliary Hydraulics Problem

JNB ยท 2014-08-25 14:00

When running a brush cutter or Harley rake, any input using the machine main hydraulics cuts power to the attachment. This includes the left joystick (directional control) and the right joystick (loader functions). The unit is an E/H system, low-flow only. The auxiliary hydraulics are controlled by a proportional valve through a roller switch on the joystick. The roller switch offers forward and reverse direction of the attachment. The machine has two 1/2" work ports (male and female couplers) and one 3/8" case drain (female coupler.) For the above attachments, both 1/2" work ports are used. The way my dealer explained it, both of these attachments are taking enough flow away from the machine for the computer(?) to sense and give priority back to the machine controls, shutting off the attachment. He say's that most of their customers only use buckets and the occasional auger which doesn't take much flow, so they've never run into this problem. I'm questioning the explanation since my machine has way more flow than the attachments require. My machine's flow is 24.2 gpm. I've operated both of these attachments numerous times with rented Kubota SVL75's that only have 18.8 gpm flow and have never had an issue. The dealer's "fix" idea is to switch the 3/8" case drain to a 1/2" male coupler reduced to the 3/8" fitting and use this fitting and the 1/2" female work port to operate the attachments. The problem is that the attachments will only operate in one direction if it's hooked up that way. The brush cutter I use at this time is a rental, so (even though I like to treat rentals like my own) I'm not all that worried about blade wear in one direction. But if I can't make the drum on the Harley rake turn in the forward direction, I can't use the attachment when traveling in reverse. And...what if the direction now available IS forward and I can't use the rake while driving forward? I'm really questioning the dealer's "fix". Sounds like a bandaid to me. Any ideas?

Replies12
  1. #1Digdeep2014-08-25 18:23

    I've heard of this complaint from other customers too. There should be plenty of flow to multitask the hydraulics. It sounds like your dealer is trying to mask a deficiency in the machine's capability.

  2. #2JNB2014-09-18 20:04

    I ran the Harley Rake again today and noticed a couple of things that have me leaning more towards a joystick problem. Even when off the ground, the speed of the drum is greatly affected by the position of the joystick. I can hit spots where its slow and bump the stick just a bit and speed up the drum. I think that this was happening with the brush cutter as well. I also get what I can only describe as a "squeak" that comes from the joystick in certain positions. I also noticed this "squeak" a bit when running the bucket later in the day. Since the machine isn't throwing any codes and both of my dealers are clueless, I'm hoping that someone has an idea what it may be. I'd hate to replace the joystick to find that I'm chasing the wrong thing.

  3. #3Digdeep2014-09-18 23:07

    I don't think its the joystick. Like I said I have talked to others with the same problem. I think the attachment takes hydraulic priority and leaves no flow for the loader through the aux circuit. One guy was using a brushcutter too and the other was using a broom. The guy with the broom had to shut the broom off to raise it over the curb on to the sidewalk. He was finally told by his dealer it was a quirk with the machine. One question, how does the joystick squeak if it is E/H?

  4. #4JNB2014-09-19 07:35

    Sorry...I guess I left out the key word in that sentence. The squeak comes from somewhere in the hydraulics and I can stop it by bumping the stick. It's not very loud...if the radio were turned up you probably wouldn't notice it. I'll be using a brush cutter next week. I guess I'll try switching to the case drain to see if it helps. I need to keep this machine until March or so...what a pita.

  5. #5KSSS2014-09-19 11:47

    I have never seen any flow reduction in running a Preparator. I can lock the flow on and move the arms and tilt and it does not slow the attachment. If the machine is doing that there is something wrong somewhere, it is not a quirk of the machine. There was a recall on the joysticks or perhaps it was a bulletin of some sort, but the routing of the wires in the control handles had to be redone. The aux. would not turn on for me was how I knew mine was messed. They replaced the handles at no cost, took them about an hour to fix.

  6. #6JNB2014-09-19 12:35

    Thanks KSSS, I was hoping you'd comment on this. Movement of the handle changes the speed with the roller switch locked in the up mode. When reversing the rotation of the Harley rake (roller switch down), the flow shuts off completely. The only way to get it to work again is to push the operate button off then on again. Same thing happens with the brush cutter. If you have the time, could you possibly check with your service rep on the problem? As I've stated...both of the dealers near me are worthless when it comes to knowing anything. They can change parts though...

  7. #7KSSS2014-09-19 16:33

    I am heading there now, and I will ask. It sounds very similar to what mine did. Once they pulled up the shroud and exposed the wiring you could see that it was frayed. The issued was each time the handle was moved it pinched the wires until they start to malfunction.

  8. #8KSSS2014-09-19 18:20

    The service manager is on vacation. I will get an answer when he gets back.

  9. #9JNB2014-09-19 19:06

    Thank you. I have a NH tractor so I've known the service manager there for quite awhile. Since the machines are similar I gave him a call this afternoon. He said that they also had wire fraying problems on several machines. His idea was the same as yours...start at the joystick pod and work my way through it. He's pretty sure I'll find it under the shroud.

  10. #10JNB2014-09-21 12:42

    I took the joystick apart and traced all of the wiring back in the cab as far as I could go and found nothing out of the ordinary. Man, if you never have to get into the handle...DON'T. It was a major PITA getting the wiring looms and stuff back together correctly while trying to mount it back on the valve. Maybe if I grew a third hand. I can see now why the service guys want to replace the entire joystick assembly.

  11. #11KSSS2014-09-21 13:32

    I printed this thread off and have it my pickup and will go over it with the SM here. The guy is brilliant and with amount Alpha's they have out here, he will know where to look..

  12. #12JNB2014-09-21 14:06

    Thank you!