Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247B No Start.

nedly05 ยท 2014-08-28 20:07

I have a Cat 247B Serial #CAT0247BKMTL02658. I was running it yesterday and it suddenly quit with no warning and now it wont start. I checked the fuses and found what I believe to be the fuel cut off fuse to be blown. I replaced it and tried cranking and it blew again. I pawed over the wire harness to the fuel system and couldnt find any rubbed wires etc. so I replaced the fuse again and while it still wont start, the fuse stays intact. I checked the filter and there is fuel there, so I cracked the injectors and cranked for 15 seconds with the throttle wide open. Im Lost at this point, does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance!

Replies4
  1. #1bigbob2014-08-28 21:14

    My 268B had issues with the fuel pump. There is a relay that allows water to get into the connection, it should be turned upside down. Check the relay, if it is corroded, replace it and coat the connection with dielectric grease. Never had a problem after I did that.

  2. #2Swannny2014-08-28 21:41

    Also check the fuel shut-off solenoid to see if it's drawing too much current to stay open. Had someone's LS180 NH in here the other week that was blowing a fuel fuse and the shut-off solenoid was the culprit.

  3. #3nedly052014-08-29 05:34

    Thanks for the replies fellas! bigbob, where is the relay located that you had trouble with?

  4. #4nedly052014-09-06 12:55

    So we got it resolved. There was no power to the fuel shutoff solenoid. Ran a new wire to power and shes up and running!