Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case transaxle fluid

Mach1 ยท 2015-05-09 10:49

Hello. Is anybody here very knowledgeable with Case hyd. oils? I have a 580k. The book says Hy-tran plus (#MS1207) for the transaxle. I sent someone up to the dealer to get me oil yesterday. What they gave him was Hy-tran ultraction (#MAT3540). I don't know if this is just a newer version, or if it is the wrong oil. The dealer is closed today so I can't call them to ask.

Replies5
  1. #1sheepfoot2015-05-09 11:46

    They have change some numbers, I am thinking that is the same number on the last 5 gal lube that a put in a phase 3 trans about two weeks ago.

  2. #2fpgm042015-05-09 17:22

    Looks like you were given the proper oil as the Case Construction Parts web site lists Hy-Tran Ultraction for a 580K. Reference link and screen capture below. http://partstore.casece.com/us/FluidSelectorCCE.html

  3. #3melben2015-05-09 17:49

    There were two transxales used in the K series, Transaxle fluid is used in the older transaxles with the shifter coming out of the floor in front of the LH console and Hytran Ultra is used in the newer transaxles with the shifter on top of the LH console. TF and Hytran are not similar oils with TF being the equivalent weight of 90 wt with wet brake friction additives and is not suitable for transmission pumps and wet clutch applications such as the later shuttle uses with the transmission and the shuttle sharing common compartments. All Ks are not created equal so it's up to you to determine what you have. The prior Borg Warner were seperate units and had the dipstick by the starter and the later under a floormat flap and a pop out plug then the dipstick beneath. Note the serial number break on the above oil application chart. Mel

  4. #4melben2015-05-09 21:40

    Correction, RH Console, lost my head for a minute. Oh well I have been retired over a year now ,LOL. Mel

  5. #5*Adamsville2015-05-10 15:51

    Mel, Never done this before but I'm going to be changing the transmission fluid in my 580B Case backhoe. *Do I need to drain the torque converter? *Does it have a drain plug? *How do I refill it? *Where Is the transmission filter?