found a fuel drip coming out of injector pump between pump and engine, have to look at it with a mirror. I ordered a cd service manual, it is 1176 pages but I could not find where it addressed the removal of the injector pump. can anyone advise on where that is available, instructions for proper removal of pump. the leak appears to be coming from a small cover plate, on engine side of pump. its held on by 2 star screws, but only 1/2 inch clearance between pump and engine. thanks in advance
Tier 4 or tier 3 engine? I'm assuming its a tier 3, as a Tier 4 should have warranty still. There is no engine information in the service manual. You need the engine manual for that. Read, review, and decide if this is over your skill/tooling level. Brief instructions for a Tier 3 engine are as follows: 1. Turn the engine over to #1 TDC, using timing pin hole, and checking that the valves are closed on #1. 2. Lock the injection pump. (there will be a horseshoe shaped washer, removed it, and tighten the bolt. The bolt presses against the injection pump shaft) 3. Make a scribe mark on the injection pump and timing cover (to align the injection pump back to where it was) 4. Remove all lines, and cap them (dirt in the lines is very bad, and could be costly later) 5. Removed the inspection cover, and remove the gear retaining bolt, and remove the injection pump gear using the puller. Case calls for the iveco puller, but I think the same puller from a cummins 3.9L/5.9L will work. (both had bosch ve pumps) Re-install using your scribe marks to align the pump back up. Torque the gear to 10ft/lbs. Unlock the pump and torque to 75ft/lbs. The only issue here is that the gear always slips while torqueing, and can throw your timing off. Without the timing tools you will not know where your timing is. The good news is that it should only slip to the advanced side, and these engines can be advanced a long ways and still run good, or better than factory settings. If you screw up the timing, the engine may run rough, or not start. Also, case does not sell any individual parts for the injection pumps. You may need to see a bosch injection pump dealer, if you cant seal up your leak.
Awesome info, I have a good mechanic but he was not familiar with case, he mostly works on Jd. he said he didn't have a puller that would fit so I need to round up one for him. Youn know any good sources I can buy a engines manual on cd? Thanks Btw. Is a 2011 model without the new pollution stuff. The pump says Brazil , who makes it?
You will have to go to case for the engine manual. The CD is usually cheaper. I the injection pump should be bosch. Before you remove the pump, make sure to check your priming pump pressure, should be 5-7psi. Air ingress or low priming pump pressure can make your injection pump leak.
Thanks Gary, You have been a big help, I have decided this is more than I want to chance, so I have it loaded and will take to a good equip mechanic today. ( along with your printed recommendations) he said he had never worked on one this new. Im still looking for a cd for the engine part of the manual, I have the service part if you need. btw, how do I tell if mine is a tier 3 or 4 engine, its made in 2011, I have the serial # if that tells me anything.
Tier 4 engines will have the dpf on the exhaust. You will see several lines going to the exhaust. Also, the cluster in the cab should have asked you to do a "regen" at some point. Since its a 2011, it is probably a tier 3, and will not have any of the above.
Gary, Ive located a used engine manual for a tier 4, do you think that will work with my tier 3? probably all the same except the pollution stuff. unless timing or something is different. also , all I could pull up was its a Case 3.4L engine, did case make them? tag on front just said made in Italy.
The engine is a Fiat, which is made in Italy. Fiat is the parent company of Case. There should be a tag, on the engine, and it will say F5C, or F5A somewhere. You will need the proper manual, the Tier 4 are electrically controlled, and tier 3 is not.
Just wanted to say Thank You, for this site and especially Gary for the help. I wish everyone a happy thanksgiving feast tomorrow, even in Canada.