Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case W20C lifting capacity question

Lindsey97 ยท 2015-01-14 18:34

hello everyone, got a question about my 1985 Case W20C wheel loader. Love the old machine, owned it since 2004, installed new 504bd engine and haven't had problems since. I recently purchased a surplus military trailer, and am having it transported from Maryland to my place in Oklahoma. Trying to decide whether to build a ramp(dock) to unload the trailer when it arrives or just lift it off the flatbed trailer with the loader. Trailer is a Stewart/Stevenson M1082a1 and weighs 7310 lbs. I looked up a brochure on the Case website and found some specs. My W20C has a cab, rear counterweights, 2.5 cubic yd. bucket, and fenders. I have added backup rippers, so I figure I can subtract 300-400 lbs. lifting capacity. Here is a link to the Case brochure: http://www.casece.com/en_us/Gallery...C/cce_WL_W Series_W20C_specs_06-26-2009_3.pdf It states operating load is 7617, rated load is 6800 lbs. , SAE tipping load is 17,128 lbs. I would like some opinions on whether you think my loader will pick the trailer off of a 5 foot tall flatbed safely, or not. I have considerable experience with this machine, and full faith in it. I have lifted heavier things with it than 7400 lbs. but never weighed them. Please let me know what you think.

Replies4
  1. #1AKSNOW2015-01-14 19:55

    Forks? Or off bucket? I think if you had forks and just held it high enough for driver to pull out from it you shouldn't have a problem! It might not work with a POB due to the height and tipping point.

  2. #2AKSNOW2015-01-14 19:57

    Actually with rear ripper weight it should be more stable (additional counterweight)

  3. #3monster762015-01-14 20:07

    if it balanced well it should be no problem

  4. #4Lindsey972015-01-14 20:12

    Don't have a rear ripper. I built some back-up rippers and welded them on the back heel of the bucket. Mine has the largest bucket, 2.5 cu. yd. I do however have factory counterweights on the back. Thought about placing my Deere 455g bucket lip on the back of the W20c for a redneck counterweight, but doing so would cause complications of not being able to back up if any other items are on the freight trailer. I can build a dock quite easily.