Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case w24c transmission, Allison tt2421

MJS Services ยท 2013-12-01 20:48

I have a Case W24c loader I purchased without a engine, I have a engine in it now the transmission works good but when you put in second gear it has a slight delay before it moves, is this normal? even if your in first gear and shift to second it still has the delay.

Replies7
  1. #1stondad2013-12-03 21:35

    In the absence of anyone piping up with direct knowledge of either the loader or the transmission in question, I can only say some fairly general things to try and help. Often, incorrect oils are used, particularly for Allisons. Check the books and make sure you have the right oil. Some Allisons have two turbines and two output shafts from the converter. These go through a one-way-clutch in the actual transmission so that when the load is high, the turbine connected through the gearing with the lowest ratio gets the drive. If the load is light, it will drive through the turbine connected to the higher ratio gearing. This is before the first/second gear clutch packs in the drive-train. It could be that in first gear it says "ok, we can do it on the low load turbine", but in second gear it says "uh oh, we'll have to drive through the high load turbine". Maybe your machine doesn't even have that. Even a modulator valve can make two identical machines act different. But, like you, I would love to hear someone post that what you have is normal for your machine.

  2. #2MJS Services2013-12-04 14:24

    Thanks for the reply, it does have the twin turbine converter I really cant tell when the torque converter shifts from low to high its just when you shift by hand to second gear it has the delay, I'm pretty sure I'm using the rite oil 'to-4 torque converter oil'

  3. #3stondad2013-12-04 15:34

    Yeah, I only know one machine with that trans and sometimes you feel it and sometimes you don't, but I think it has issues too, hence my study of how it works. I can't help on the oil, but usually like to see the listing in the book with my own eyes, rather than be told by an "expert".

  4. #4sheepfoot2013-12-08 18:45

    The shift should not have a long delay, I would slip the trimmer spool out and check the springs and regulator valve along with the bore that they slide freely, there are a check valve and orifices in that control valve that could have a slight bit of trash causing your issue. When you shift to high range oil moves threw the orifices and fills the high range at a slower rate and provides a smother engagement, the trimmer circuit works in conjunction with the B orifice and the high range orifice. The trimmer regulates clutch apply pressure during initial stages of clutch lock up. The valve is in the main control valve on the left side of the machine bolted to the trans, the top large plug to the rear is the reg and the front top plug is the trimmer. You will have two springs also and a retainer on some inside. The only orifice you can check with out removing the valve is in the regulator valve end (drilled hole), the other two and the check you have to remove the valve. Clean the area good, both the valve and frame to lessen the dirt/trash since it's not a real good spot to work in. That valve assembly is around $2500 so be easy with it. It could be a gasket/check valve/orifice/sticking spool, i don't think it's a high range pack, but in that valve causing the delay.

  5. #5stondad2013-12-08 20:35

    sheepfoot, so glad you came along because I was sure there were people who knew the trans much better than me, and I was a bit nervous being the only one responding. Sooooo. Can I ask you about the one I know of while you're here please ? It's in a John Deere loader . The problem is that particularly when it is cold, it seems to always want to start off in high range both forward and reverse. Once it warms up first and reverse are ok, but if you are roading it and you change to second gear, sometimes it feels as if it doesn't go back to the low speed turbine in the torque converter. I told the owner that with the history of hard work and neglect for the machine, I suspected the one way clutch for the two turbines and an oil change would be a good start, but he hasn't done that so I am not worried about it either ! Just wanted an opinion off someone who knows them well.

  6. #6sheepfoot2013-12-08 23:35

    TT trans On the TT your power goes from the engine to the torque pump, from the pump it's transmitted hydraulically either to 1st turbine or 2nd turbine or both under certain conditions. Speed and load determines the torque flow through 1st and 2nd turbine assemblies or only through 2nd turbine. At high load demand and low speed, the freewheel clutch is engaged and 1st turbine assembly acts as the driving member. As speed increases and load demand decreases the freewheel clutch disengages and 2nd turbine becomes the main driving member. So 1st turbine is related to higher torque and 2nd to higher speed. The transition from the torque phase to the speed phase is entirely automatic, governed by the load and speed. That being said, how many hrs on the deere, and has it been opened up before. I would do a oil/filter/sump screen first to see what's going on first inside. I would also not go into one without stall tests and pressure tests if it is working to pin point other areas of concern.

  7. #7stondad2013-12-09 00:18

    Thanks sheepfoot. I agree totally with your recommendations, but sadly, it will never be done. The machine is ex local Council and did a lot of work with rear mounted rippers. Then it had forks fitted and worked in the bush loading log trucks. The machines sit in the bush for (sometimes) months at a time and as long as they start and load a truck or two, they get nothing done to them until they stop. So even though I recently fitted liners, pistons, big end and main bearings to it in-chassis, it was back on the low-loader before I had a chance to even drain the trans. So the machine doesn't matter to me. I just wanted to add to my knowledge. I suspect that that freewheel clutch is full of gunk, has ripples worn in the drum, has broken springs, or all the above. They won't do anything until it won't drive and :- a) Never tell me because I was right but they are ashamed b) Say I have to fix it because I worked on it before c) Leave it where it failed but still never tell me Thanks. M.