Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case XT Series vs 400 Series- ATTN KSSS

wiartonmike ยท 2017-05-08 09:12

What is the difference between these two series- I am looking at the 90/95, 450/465 end of things. Body types seem identical between the radial-vertical models as far as I can tell, but what is the preferable of the two engines-hydraulic set-ups? I see a lot of love for the older Case stuff, (4-390 engine and the 1845c especially), but the consensus seems to be that they get worse with each new series that comes out.

Replies7
  1. #1GaryHoff2017-05-15 00:25

    90/95 xt had the 4-390 engine, basically the 3.9L cummins with a few modifications for case. Solid engine. 450-465 have the 445t/m2 iveco engine. Also a good engine. Pilot controls became a option for this series. The pumps are the same sauer danfoss between the xt and 400 series (with the exception of the pilot controls, or if the unit has a flywheel gearbox) Later the 400 series went all to Rexroth. Basically the same frame and driveline. 400 series added more control to the instrument cluster. The xt series had a bigger high flow option than the 400 series. The end result is you have to look at how each machine was ran and maintained.

  2. #2KSSS2017-05-16 00:36

    Although perhaps a bit sacrilegious to a CASE/Cummins purist, I preferred the Iveco to the Cummins. I think it recovered faster after being lugged down, and generally was more productive in dirt moving operations than was the 390T. Not to take anything away from the 390T, it was good as well, just that the 4.5 is a horse of a motor. I have had a number of skid steers with both engines and I never had an engine related issued with either one. The lifting capacity was slightly higher on the 95XT than the 465, but likely not enough to matter. They will both lift an incredible amount of weight. The cab and controls are slightly better in the 400 series. The biggest issue I ever had with them was the failure of some of the safety sensors. Pretty easy to fix yourself and diagnose once you understand how they work and where they are located. I never owned a 90/450 but I have run them, love how fast they are. If you don't need the lift capacity, the radial machines have much faster cycle times. The ideal machine in this era is the 400 series 3. It gave you pilots controls, and a much better cab. The controls in both the XT and 400 are very good servo assisted controls, but the pilots were very well done in the Series 3 (I was part of a customer clinic at the time that evaluated them during testing). They are hard to find, they came out in 08 right when SSL sales fell of a cliff and were replaced by the Alpha machines in 2011. They are very productive, solid machines even compared to current machines of any make when it comes to hyd hp, tractive effort, and dirt moving production. Their biggest issue is the cabs are lacking in some comfort/noise suppression, and the AC capability is lacking. As you may have found, these machines with lower hours in good condition, tend to hold their value well. Good luck.

  3. #3JS3002017-05-16 08:13

    KSSS do you think the Series 3 machines are so hard to find because not as many were sold or folks just hang on to them? I'm not sure about the smaller machines but the 445, 450, and 465 and are very hard to find in series 3 SSL or CTL.

  4. #4KSSS2017-05-20 00:03

    Could be a combination, but if you look at the total number of skid steers sold in the mid 2000 against those sold from 08-10, (I have seen the numbers but I cant recall exactly what they are so I wont post numbers) and the machines sold in those tough years were but a small fraction of those sold before and after the downturn. If you look at machines of all makes, and all kinds of equipment there simply are not a lot of machines in those years available. There was no work so no one was replacing their machines.

  5. #5JS3002017-05-20 21:37

    Another thing I notice when looking at Case machines is the price difference in say a 450CT and a TV380 is not that great. I have found several 450CT machines with around 1,500-2,000 hrs for $28-30k and a comparable TV380 can be had for $35-40k. Seems like the older machines are holding thier value a little better. The 450 I have now seems pretty bullet proof compared to the newer machines with all the electronics, this could have something do to with it. I priced a new TV380 and it was close to 70k I believe.

  6. #6Georgia Iron2017-05-26 23:37

    I went from a 75xt to a 440 series 3. I posted a write up on my 440 here a while ago. The 440 is a little smaller than what you are looking at. It has the 90 HP turbo engine in it. Every time I crawl in it, I think to myself they must have named this machine for the 440 6 pack that dodge used to make. I have never stalled the machine out. In a way it is far to light for the power it has. It will tip very easy and it will put your head into the front door quicker than you can let go of the handles. A seat beat is a must. So far it is my favorite machine. I have used. Manly because of the over powered motor. Mine has 1200 hours. The main draw back to these machines is the lack of thought that went in to repairs. It is almost impossible to replace hoses or even get your arm into the belly to clean it out. The newer kubotas are much better laid out. But I doubt they will ever compare power wise, to this emissions free power plant.

  7. #7KSSS2017-05-28 13:58

    The 440 is also one of my all time favorite machines as well. The 70XT was much the same, it was easier to service with the 390T in it, it just lacked a two speed.