Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case xt60 skid steer hydraulic pump shaft seized on coupling

Redda · 2025-12-31 20:15

Hi guys hope u can help, my fan belt broke easy fix they say only problem is the hydraulic pump is well and truly seized onto the coupling, i assume a puller of some sort could do the job but I am uncertain how much pressure the coupling can take as it is cast and u cant use flame heat because of the rubber bushes in the coupling, i have managed to remove the pump by jacking up the motor and removing the engine mount so i have access to the front of the coupling but its still running through the engine mount. any ideas on pulley type or methods much appreciated

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2026-01-01 01:04

    Congratulations on your first post @Redda If I understand correctly, you have removed the hyd pump - while it is still connected to the support bracket? The pump is on the bench - with the front support & the coupling still stuck on the shaft? Using an air hammer on the coupling often works to loosen the hold. Use no heat as the front pump seal will be a casualty. Got any pics?

  2. #2Redda2026-01-01 04:20

    Hi Alrman thanks for reply, no the pump is still on the back of the machine as I did not disconnect the hoses but I am able to turn it upright so the coupling faces up. With using the air hammer where exactly are u suggesting to use it on the pump shaft or the coupling, I did have a thought of wedging under the coupling between it and the engine bracket and knocking on the pump shaft end with a brass hammer Thoughts ? Thanks redda Pic before engines bracket off but may help for me understanding your advice

  3. #3HarleyHappy2026-01-01 10:28

    If you have the bracket, with the pump through it, why do you need to separate it for a belt change? Never mind, retarded first day of the New Year. Looks like a good try for a Porta Power Spreader.

  4. #4alrman2026-01-01 15:23

    I would use the air hammer on the coupling flange that is near the splined area, rotating the coupling so that you are giving it a 360 degree massage - normally without removing the front cradle. With what you're describing, you could use a two legged puller (or a large two piece bearing separater) to withdraw the coupling from the shaft, but there's no guarantee that it will come easily. Like HarleyHappy says, if you have gone this far, fit the new belt & put it back together with the seized coupling?

  5. #5Redda2026-01-01 15:56

    Thanks guys, yes I could fit belt now and put it back together but if belt goes again or if pump fails I won’t need to remove radiator again, better to fix now. A thought was to tap the coupling down first instead of pulling up to break the grip. I will look to see what type of puller I can get. Thanks

  6. #6HarleyHappy2026-01-02 09:38

    Yes but if you put the belt in now, you can monitor it and every week or so, spray the shaft and coupling with Deep Creep or whatever and that should help in the future, if needed.

  7. #7Redda2026-01-02 17:19

    Just an update I have put it all back together due to time constraints with getting the job done and all good yes Harley I will keep spraying it hopefully won’t need to replace for a while thanks guys for your input