Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case580D valve guide removal and depth.

GregoryJohnston77 · 2019-09-05 20:05

Hey Guys I have a case 580d first off. Okay my issue is I live in a small town, we have no machine shop. I've taken out valve guides of many gasers, I've never done a backhoe engine. It's the 207D in a late 80s case 580D. My #1. question is am I safe to press them out myself? I know in cast iron heads stuff cracks. Should I preheat them then try and press them out? #2 question Also I can't find in my owners manual if the exhuast guides and intake guides are all the same highth. Right now 4 of the guids are lower then the other 4. I'm in Dyer need, as my backhoe is setting in a pond right now. I dropped a valve but luckley it didnt hot the piston. Okay now #3 question is there valve guide seals. When I pulled it off there was only valve stem seals, and nothing over the guides, which was weird wouldn't it smoke? It started smoking but that's prolly from the bad valve guide and hent push rod. I'm freaking out and trying to get my equipment out of this pond lol inclosed is a pic of the valve guides at different lengths ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. My email is [email protected] if y'all have any insight thank you all

Replies15
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-09-06 07:43

    From the service and parts manual. The seal is #27. I cannot help you on the installation. I always have a machinist do mine.

  2. #2GregoryJohnston772019-09-08 11:36

    Yeah, looks like I'll be taking it to an machine shop. I've changed hundreds of guides never in a backhoe, and I broke one. Now I'm paranoid. We have no machine shops in my small town, and my backhoe is setting in a pond. If it's not one thing its another...

  3. #3Nige2019-09-08 13:23

    Is there any way you can get hold of some dry ice..? Chilled in that the guides would most likely slide in. Your challenge would be preventing them from going too far …….

  4. #4kshansen2019-09-08 13:49

    Have you measured the new guides to be sure they are within spec's on the OD?

  5. #5thepumpguysc2019-09-08 15:38

    Do u have a "reamer".?? The spec says>> installed AND REAMED..

  6. #6jd12342019-09-09 00:56

    Suggest you go to MinnPar.com and look in their free OEM Parts Manuals section ...... for the Case 580D Service Manual. ref Page 323

  7. #7thepumpguysc2019-09-09 06:12

    Good info JD.. Has anyone priced a reman head.?? Have u tried Dale @ tractor stuff.??

  8. #8GregoryJohnston772019-09-10 11:56

    Okay, I got the new guides in, NOW IM SCREWED. I cannot get new valve spring retainers Part#G11927 every case dealer has told me they dont "make them" any more. What the hell man. I've called every company on google search, I've tried eBay and amazon. Anyone know where to get a valve retainer? Here is a picture of what's left of mine. I'm thinking maybe a machine shop could make one using good old one to go off of, but I have no machine shops in this town. I just need to get my backhoe out of this pond man. I used my log splitter to hook up the hydraulics to lift the boom, then my log splitter messed up on me lol

  9. #9Tinkerer2019-09-10 21:12

    First ,call Dale Wiess and tell him what you need. Here is his website ----> http://e-backhoeparts.com/ Or here. https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/...on-vg/VALVE-MECHANISM-188-DIESEL-ENGINE-0OGu/

  10. #10thepumpguysc2019-09-10 21:39

    At least u got the updated P#.. THAT P# shoulda came up "somewhere" on YOUR web search.??

  11. #11Earthmachines2024-12-25 08:32

    How did you ever make out with valve guide heights and getting that running and out of the pond ?

  12. #12HarleyHappy2024-12-25 08:40

    Whoooeeeeboy. Wanna start this on Christmas morning? Might be a good story and could be a bunch of different endings, if the OP is still here. Lol

  13. #13Earthmachines2024-12-25 08:55

    lol no better time! I currently redoing my head bought all related things but not sure how high to set guides book says one thing my old head says another lol

  14. #14thepumpguysc2024-12-25 09:49

    Unfortunately Dale Weiss had passed away.. the world lost a great resource.!! Idk what happened to his inventory.?? But as far as I know, nobody can equal his knowledge..

  15. #15Earthmachines2024-12-25 10:09

    Oh I’m so sorry for bringing up a horrible time I did not know! Well gives all that knew him a time to reflect how much they loved him