Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caseih 5130 PTO problems

wsw ยท 2011-12-18 09:37

I have a customer with a Case ih 5130 Maxum and they told me the PTO just suddenly stopped, I am mostly heavy equipment repair but this is a good customer and I will be going out to look at it as soon as I am done with the current job. Any advise ?

Replies13
  1. #1Richardjw~2011-12-23 14:10

    check to see if the linkages are still attached, make sure the 540/1000 selector is engaging. The PTO circuit runs about 280psi and is common to the transmission, diff-lock and MFD, if there's a major leak these will also be affected

  2. #2wsw2012-01-10 17:15

    I have not been there yet but they say this tractor you spin the shaft around for 1000 from 540 PTO speed

  3. #3Iron@Dirt2012-01-11 21:28

    There is a sliding collar in the housing that shifts gears with the different end of the shaft, known for giving trouble.

  4. #4wsw2012-01-13 08:01

    Is this something you access through the rear of tractor or from top, below the seat? Is it usually hydraulic or mechanical ? thanks Iron@Dirt

  5. #5Richardjw~2012-01-14 12:50

    yes, on a snap-ring by the shaft. If the groove wears the shaft can just pop out

  6. #6Iron@Dirt2012-01-14 21:06

    Rarely you can shim the shaft to push a little farther back but is temporary. The pto will eventialy need a rebuild. The whole housing will need to be pulled, put on a table and dissected. Not real complicated but a little tedious. There are two pins that press into the shifting colar that wear and limit stroke of the shifting gears ( use to polish new pins a little to make driveing them esier into the tight spot you have to work in). You have to thread a metric bolt a little longer than standard to pull pins out, forgot what size. If you have acsess to a manual it is a great help with sequence of steps.

  7. #7wsw2012-01-14 21:39

    But I access this from the rear of the tractor? I will have no problem doing this I am just not familiar with this machine, I just finnished a complete transmission rebuild on a Cat 966G loader. I work mostly on heavy equipment and also on Cat diesels in trucks and yachts. Thanks for your time

  8. #8Richardjw~2012-01-15 06:26

    yes, the entire rear housing comes off from the centre/diff housing, sling it from the top-pink lift point make sure you eliminate the hyd/elec circuits before ripping the back off 'er

  9. #9wsw2012-01-15 09:03

    Thanks alot for your help guys Take Care

  10. #10Iron@Dirt2012-01-15 11:06

    Thanks Richard for the pic. Do you have the internals showing the speed selection? wsw, if you pull it apart I forgot to tell you about how easy it is to nick the oring around the sliding tube.

  11. #11Richardjw~2012-01-15 15:48

    there's this line-art from the S/M i'll have a look in the training notes, but the actual S/M has 70 pages on R & I of this operation

  12. #12Richardjw~2012-01-15 15:52
  13. #13Iron@Dirt2012-01-15 19:13

    Thanks for the drawings. Left the dealership 17 years ago and havent done one since, even the ones I rebuilt Case was updating parts to make more reliable. Didnt remember spring and ball. Last drawing shows pins hooking into sliding tube. Good luck.