Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 112 compare to Cat 12

LOFAYTX ยท 2020-07-06 21:00

What is the difference between a Cat 112 and a Cat 12? Is a Cat 112 a smaller machine than a Cat 12? Both are older manual Cat blades.

Replies14
  1. #1Old Magnet2020-07-07 01:04

    In general the 112 is smaller than the 12. The 12 will have a 6-cyl engine the 112 is 4-cyl. Still a lot of parts interchange.

  2. #2.RC.2020-07-07 04:52

    I am not sure anyone understands caterpillars grader numbering system. At one time you had 120G, 130G, 140G, 12G, 14G, 16G, And probably others for sale at the same time

  3. #3Tones2020-07-07 06:59

    The 112 had the same engine as the D2 of the time while the 12 had the D4 engine

  4. #4Old Magnet2020-07-07 11:46

    Wrong, the #12 has a 6-cyl engine like the D6, the 112 has a 4-cyl engine like the D4, the 212 used the 4-cyl engine like the D2. Need the actual s/n's to determine which engines.

  5. #5mitch5042020-07-07 11:56

    seen plenty of 12s and 112s, never heard of a 212. Was it the same basic size, or something like a little Allis Chalmers size?

  6. #6Old Magnet2020-07-07 13:53

    The 112 (with D315 engine) weighs about 20,000 lbs The 212 (with D311 engine) weighs about 14,000 lbs (tandem drive) The 212 shrinks in overall size but still has a fair amount of interchangeable parts. Here's the specs on a 212 with D311 engine.

  7. #7Tones2020-07-07 17:51

    I forgot the 212 though I shouldn't have. I was the first of the old Cat graders I operated. So I was w.... incorr...

  8. #8mitch5042020-07-07 22:04

    Hard to say, ain't it, Tones?

  9. #9LOFAYTX2020-07-07 23:06

    Thanks for the help, Now I know I want to look for a 12 not a 112.

  10. #10JD955SC2020-07-09 21:12

    To this day it still makes no sense and Cat is renumbering them yet again (and the dozers).

  11. #11old-iron-habit2020-07-09 22:39

    Here is a picture of a 212 with the D2 sized powerplant. 10 ft. blade, smaller frame than the 112 or 12.

  12. #12mitch5042020-07-09 23:20

    I always thought the "12" meant 12' moldboard

  13. #13mitch5042020-07-10 12:24

    I thought the "12" in the number meant a 12' moldboard. We probably shouldn't even mention Cat's renumbering scheme.

  14. #14John C.2020-07-13 10:09

    I thought that also till I went to work at a Cat dealer. It turned out that you could get the next size up blade on any machine. I've seen plenty of 12G and 120G with 14' blades, 140G with 12' and 16' blades and 14G with 16' blades. I wouldn't be surprised if that went all the way back to the antiques.