Got my eye on two No. 12's. A 1938, Caterpillar Diesel No. 12 Auto Patrol" 9K w/D61000 and a 1954, No.12, 8T w/D318. We had to pull start them because they have pony issues, of course, but I have that covered ... I think ... one never knows until you pull bolts and break out the mic. Not sure what is wrong with the pony on the 38, Auto Patrol but the carb needs rebuilt on the 54, No.12. Both have new rubber all around and new teeth on the scarifiers and cutting edges on the mo-boards. What would be the problem areas and things to look for on these old puppies? Thanks for looking. No pics yet
i've got an 8T series #12. some things that come to mind other than the pup engine are- lever control clutches in the tower may be worn especially in the moldboard lift, main engine rings may be worn or stuck, water contamination in transmission and chaincases, main clutch wear or out of adjustment, ball and socket wear on all lift linkages( shims can be removed if there are any), broken circle teeth(not likely, but will be worn more in 2 spots where it has been used the most), brakes(they likely don't work and they weren't very good anyway, broken teeth on the wheel lean rack or circle side shift, 6 volt electrical system, pup engine clutch and pinion engagement wear and adjustment. overall, a tough old machine and simple. if you do something it doesn't like, it will let you know. back when those were new, operators had to be as tough as the machine. they were known around here as wristbusters. i don't bother putting a battery in mine- i just boost it on 12volts, been doing it for 30 yrs and i don't need lights because i never run it in the dark. on the plus side, other than the power steering, no hydraulics to creep or leak
You sure your 1938 9K is not a Model 11 and has a D6600 3 cylinder Cat Diesel in it. I do not believe the early 12 which would have had a D4600 was made yet in 1938. Here is a 1937 Model 11 with another Model 11 that is now also restored in the background.
If you pull start them, pull them with the compression released for them to have a chance to get everything lubed up and build oil pressure before you put compression to them. Both are still good machines to play with and were solid in there day. The knuckle busters are probably well worn.
Wow. Thanks 56wrench: Quit the in-depth research you must ha spent a few days behind a moldboard. Thanks so much and now you say it, it makes sense where the common trouble ares would be is in the areas that get most wear. I have a 1946 Adams so I am aware of the sore wrists and forearms, bad shims, broken u-joins, busted knuckle joints and inexcusable vile language spoken at the behest of a smashed finger or two. The breaks are the only hydraulics on the Adams and they haven't worked in about a 100 years, that's OK cause the concrete filled inner-tubes keep it under Mach II anyway.
I'm not a 100% sure and I may have misspoke as to the year of the "38" until I see the tag I really can't say but the nose looks nothing like your picture. I was told, by a guy that should know - but he too is getting old, that it was a 38 so I just assumed it was the 9K. It was in a mid-winter night the time we started that one and that was eons ago - 1980'ish. Still no pictures but I'll look into that tomorrow if I get the time. But I do know the used regroovable rear tires weighed 300-350lbs each OMG; he gave them to me for the Adams when he got the new ones.
The 9Kxxxx series #12 came out in 1938 and would have a D4600 engine. The D6100 was not used in a grader in 1938 but if it's a 3-cyl engine it could be a D6600
As always Old Magnet you come in with great information. Thanks so much for your input. I knew I should have went and got the S/N but it put down some rain down for the past week. I'll try to get over there some time this week and get some pictures.
TAGS MIA Looking at the manuals for No. 12 8T and No. 12 Direct Electric Starting 80C Both put the S/N tags on the Right-hand side of the engine block and the Left front side of the frame. Tags!? “We don’t need on stinking TAGS!!!” O but yes we do. I have no idea where the left front side of the frame is, to me it seems a rather ambiguous term. (large frame small numbers). Anyone have a picture to make it easy for this West Virginian IQ
Right behind the left front wheel on the arched main frame. Not usually knocked off there.
Thank you so much I'll try to make it over there today but it got sunny and the honey-do's are pilling up quickly.