Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 112 grader

Gavin L · 2024-09-15 01:05

Greetings!! So another resent post made me think before something bad happens…. How do you check the clutch oil? Can’t seem to find a location in the service book. Was thinking about this and don’t want to be putting a new clutch in it. Also I pretty sure it needs it adjusted but not sure on specs.

Replies14
  1. #1Fat Dan2024-09-16 11:20

    You have a 1958 3U; 75hp gas start, 19880lbs, D315 the clutch oil humm from my 57; 955C 12A Traxcavator you may need to pull the top plate off and look. I do know my 12A used 4 gallons... I'm thinking 30W but don't hold me to that. I don't have a 3U manual hut have you tried ACMOC? A set of manuals are invaluable and can be purchased from eBay or Jenkins.

  2. #2Fat Dan2024-09-16 13:34

    Ok broke out my library on 57-60 12A there is a dipstick on the top plate on the clutch housing close to the pulley on the starter motor. you may need to remove a floor panel.

  3. #3Gavin L2024-09-16 14:31

    Thanks Dan, I have a pdf of the service manual, parts catalog, and a d315 service manual. It’s no longer a pony start because I put electric start on it… The pony did run but not very good and than the mag gear stripped. Very sad moment…

  4. #4Gavin L2024-10-09 23:55

    I wonder if Cat ever had a turbo on the d315? Was looking at it and it looks like a turbo would bolt on…

  5. #5eastroad2024-10-20 10:40

    Early S/N 112 graders used a dry cutch. I worked on one several years ago and got parts from General Gear in Boise ID. John was a tremendous help with that. 800 531 9021 and they have a web page if you Google them. Free play adjustment may be all you need. PM me if you have any questions

  6. #6Gavin L2024-10-23 18:02

    What does it take to put glow plugs in? I’m going to be resealing the injectors and was just thinking about them for cold starting…

  7. #7eastroad2024-10-23 20:17

    On the surface it looks like a simple parts change: the glow plugs themselve and pre-combustion chambers to accept them. Add a power source and you would be all set. I’m equally sure that it isn’t that simple; but your parts book should be a guide. ACMOC should have some discussions about doing just that, and General Gear probably can provide the parts. The guy that I did the clutch work for had me add an electric solenoid operated ether injection setup off a junked JD544 loader, but boy, is that touchy! Push button operated, all you have to do is poke the button and you wake that ether bunny up with a bang. He’s already popped the top off one PC chamber that I had to have tig welded back together. I don’t recommend that route.

  8. #8eastroad2024-10-23 20:41

    Tank style block heater would be better if you have power nearby. Shelter helps a lot, too.

  9. #9Gavin L2024-10-23 21:25

    That’s the problem, I don’t want to drive 13 miles to plug it in. I’m going to fields with it and leave it out there so there’s no power to plug it in. I don’t really like ether because of that… It’s a higher hour grader so I don’t want to stress it too much with ether.

  10. #10eastroad2024-10-23 21:37

    You could carry a generator in your crummy and just head out early, plug ithe heater in and grease up; fuel up; and listen to the news for an hour I am sure that glow plugs can be added. call John at General Gear and sound him out.The Generator, battery charger, and a block heater, along with an old horse blanket to keep the heat in might save the day, though.

  11. #11Old Magnet2024-10-24 11:24

    That's a late enough s/n to have the head that accommodates the larger diameter pre-combustion chambers required for glow plugs. Straight forward addition once you round up the parts. Turbo's were available for the D315 but that's asking a lot for tired engines.

  12. #12Gavin L2024-10-24 12:24

    Your Probably right about the turbo, I have a thing with listening to turbos whistling lol… Reason I brought up injectors and glow plugs is I have 2 injectors leaking engine oil? I didn’t know they have oil up there. So I was figuring if I need to replace them I might as well go with glow plugs too..

  13. #13bccat2024-10-24 22:59

    You don’t have injectors as per se, you have replaceable spray nozzles, probably just need new o rings. The injection pumps do the work, pet peeve of mine,cheers

  14. #14Gavin L2024-10-26 00:12

    I’d like to check them also anyway if it’s not too bad to check… So I noticed that going down a hill in high gear (when the engine is holding it back) that it will blow a grayish smoke and start missing a bit, now is that normal or what do I need to look at? If I’m going to have the injectors out how do I check them? I have a part number of 9F5937 for the tips with O-ring, does that sound right?