Hi, I have a grader Adams 440 serial 44GM5544.I want to know what is the year of manufacture.
Hi,Adam’s was bought out in early 1960’s by Westinghouse & Letourneau then they merged into Wabco ( could be wrong about the merger).yours is a 1961 Letourneau Westinghouse 440, GM 471, dry clutch . My Dad had an 1961 LW 440, 471 GM with a snow wing moved a lot of snow
Another fun fact about Adams graders, they were the first to have leaning wheels.
JD Adams was the first to patent the No1 Adams Road Grader in 1885. Pulled by hand, ox or horse. The Motor Grater was first built in 1919 with an Allis Chalmers wheeled tractor and a Galion moldboard and front end. The Adams 440 started production in 1953 my data didn't show an end of production date. I was able to get a picture of the last Adams ever made. By all accounts Adams was purchased by Letourneau in June or July of 1960. However some remaining contacts with the US Army Corps of Engineers pushed the production date of the last Adams to Febuary of 1961
Adams 440 Dry Clutch 1953 - 1970, Serial #s 440 - 11176. Adams 440 oil Clutch 1964- 1970, Serial # 40001 - 40488 Adams 440H dry clutch 1964- 1971 Serial # 46001 - 51147 Adams 440HT Power flow. 1964-1971 Serial # 47001-47314 Adams 440HA 1967- 70 001- 1489. It seem’s like 1960 - 61 serial #’s would the last Adams grader made 1960 3722 - 4899, 1961 4902- 6905. I know the early Adams graders had International UD engines in them. Probably changed to GM & Cummins engines when bought out by Letourneau. The 61-62 LW 666 that I looked after was an Adams grader on the data plate built in Ontario Canada. A lot of LW777 power flows were manufactured by Northwest Industries, Edmonton Alberta.