Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 12 grader

nmmountainman ยท 2008-06-27 02:01

So, I am looking at buying a cat 12 grader, 6 cyl, enclosed cab, in good condition w/ a pony motor, it was made in the 30's or 40's, all mechanical of course. I am likely to be able to buy it for around 4k. It sounds like a deal to me. My neighbor came across it, bought it, but then wanted something newer and easier/more comfortable to opperate and has just bought a newer one. It is supposedly in great condition. I will go look at it in a couple of weeks. Any advise? what sort of things should I look for when I go look at it?

Replies44
  1. #1greywynd2008-06-27 22:43

    Friend had one up until a few years ago. They only ran the pup long enough to start the diesel up, something to do with hard to get parts for the pup or something if i recall? Only other issue they had that I'm aware of was the hydraulic motor(?) for the power steering, had a difficult time getting it rebuilt/working right. I don't recall all the details, but will try to ask him what he recalls.

  2. #2nmmountainman2008-06-28 00:26

    I believe i was told it has a "hydrolic power steering assist"? I think it needed more fluid but they got it working correctly. that is something i will check out when I go to look at it. My neighbor found it difficult to steer, no more than expected however, but that was before they added fluid. so it may steer easier now. Do you think 4k for a good working 30s or 40s cat 12 6 cylnder is a good deal? thanks,

  3. #3Dwan Hall2008-06-28 02:21

    Parts will be your major problem. a 60 year old machine will have its problems. But if you have time and don't mind a few broken knuckles then it should be a fun project. Pictures are always nice. I spent over 2 years going through this one. 1963 Austin Western

  4. #4OilFieldHand2008-06-28 12:21

    I Think Wagner equipment is in New Mexico?? When you go to the CAT dealership look up CAT Classic parts and you wont have a problem getting parts. My mechanic bought a D2 and bought all his parts through wagner. They still make parts for old machines.

  5. #5nmmountainman2008-06-29 00:10

    I have been told that you can purchase any part for any cat no matter the age. Its one of the advantages to purchasing a cat, they will always make parts for it no matter the age.

  6. #6Dwan Hall2008-06-29 00:21

    Who is they? I bet I can prove that CAT does not maintain a parts inventory for everything they have made. For a price anything that has been made before can be made again but that price could hurt Bill Gates on some things I cant even find any parts for a CAT 8M

  7. #7Komatsu 1502008-06-29 09:19

    There are parts that are not available but Cat is the best at supporting their old machines compared to other companies. I've never had a problem getting parts for our 12 grader (99E a 1960). The last time I checked new doors were still available but the price was staggering.

  8. #8OilFieldHand2008-06-29 12:38

    Is your 8m american? We have 2 mexican dozers (D8R) and a long stick 330 hoe from canadia. They are a bitch to find parts for. But like I said, cat still makes the "classic" parts for old machines. They will cost alot but they are still made.

  9. #9Dwan Hall2008-06-29 13:03

    Looks American.

  10. #10Big Iron2008-06-29 13:31

    I just hate it when you post a link to the AW project, that means I have to go through the whole thread again and marvel at the outstanding restoration job you did. Sad part is I enjoy it more everytime I read it.:drinkup

  11. #11OilFieldHand2008-06-29 17:07

    Does the D8R infront of my D10T look american?? She is from barzil and hard to get parts for You gotta go off the serial numbers. I dont know how but if you PM me the number ill ask my mechanic and let you know what he says. He is a licensed cat mechanic of 25 years.

  12. #12Dwan Hall2008-06-29 19:31

    model #8M SN# 86 if your Mechanic has only worked for Cat for 25 years then he may never had a chance to work on one this old. I believe it to be between 60 and 70 years old. Not to discourage nmmountainman from buying his.

  13. #13nmmountainman2008-06-29 22:36

    Is there a website were I can input a serial # and it will give me the year of manufacture? The mechanic who currently has the grader feels it's a 30s model but he was recently off by 10 years on another grader and I am thinking it may be new than he thought.

  14. #14Dwan Hall2008-06-29 22:40

    Can you post a few pictures. maybe someone here can get you within a few years.

  15. #1549cat1122008-06-29 22:49

    And/or post the serial number. Mine is 3U1323 and it's a '49 112. Or somebody here http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net can tell you.

  16. #16nmmountainman2008-06-30 23:50

    Unfortunately I won't be able to go look at it until the later part of July. So I have a few weeks until I will know the serial # or will be able to take pics, but I will do both and post when I look at it. Thanks for the website

  17. #17DPete2008-07-09 14:27

    I bet it's an 8T serial #, I have memories of 8T1110, I said memories not good memories like adjusting the clutch with an 1/8" welding rod for clearance. and pulling the engine to replace the clutch release bearing because nobody knew about the oil cup on top of the bell housing that drip fed the bearing. Or tring to rope start the pony engine because the 6volt starter would'nt spin it.

  18. #18nmmountainman2008-07-10 20:50

    So I will likely go look at that grader in 2 weeks. I did find out that the serial # is 3U4291 its a 112 maybe E Can anyone give me an idea of year or any other interesting information?

  19. #19Engineer42552008-07-10 21:21

    If its a 3U, its a 112 made between 47 and 59. 70hp and weighs a little over 19,000lbs.

  20. #20Dwan Hall2008-07-10 21:27

    can you tell me what a 8m86 is? I posted a picture on the last page.

  21. #21Engineer42552008-07-10 21:49

    I'll do some more digging, but heres what I have so far. There was a 6M made from 39-42, 66hp, weighs about 21k. There was a 8T made from 47-55, 100hp, and weighs about 22k. I have a book that I need to locate that might show something different, but Cats Performance book didnt show an 8M. Oh, and by the way, nice job on the AW

  22. #22Dwan Hall2008-07-10 21:58

    Thanks for looking and also thanks for the comment on the AW. It has been fun.

  23. #23nmmountainman2008-07-11 01:04

    Very Impressive!!! So its not quite a old as I thought I was told it was a 30's Anyway to tell were it was manufactured?

  24. #24abraha2008-07-11 10:36

    Caterppilar 14g Desperate looking for cate,but it should be caterpillar......thanks alot bye...Abraham

  25. #25Engineer42552008-07-11 16:40

    did some more checking Dwan. The only thing I found was a 12H under the 8M serial series. Looking at your pic again, best I can tell its a 4 wheeler. If thats true, its a motor patrol type, and that would seem to match up with the 6M. If I can find my master list, thats the last place I can find that may show anything different. I'll let you know.

  26. #26Dwan Hall2008-07-11 19:40

    8m86 Here is a link to another thread that has a few pictures. This machine is gas powered and a hand crank.To start it you put a few drops of gas in a priming hole on the motor and crank. add a little sweet and it runs just fine.

  27. #27nmmountainman2008-07-29 02:01

    So I went and checked out that grader. She works great. Drove her around the yard. The hydrolic assist on the steering was up and running and it was as easy to turn as my toyota truck! It has a cracked window or two, its in need of some new tires for the rear but thats about it. Runs great. A little complicated to start, but it does start right up and when it does the engine sounds great, just purrs. Thought I would post some pics.

  28. #28nmmountainman2008-07-29 02:05

    A few more

  29. #29Grader4me2008-07-29 05:45

    The old girl looks good! Hope you have great luck with it!

  30. #30stretch2008-07-29 08:51

    Same...it really does look good for a machine its age!

  31. #31ovrszd2008-07-29 10:11

    grader That's exactly like the grader I learned on. I have some fond memories. Also have some nightmares. I remember how dehydrated I would get on hot days. How much my hips and small of my back hurt after standing all day. How the palms of my hands hurt from the levers beating me up. Very indestructable machine that will outlast you!!!

  32. #32nmmountainman2008-07-29 11:14

    I really think she looks great. When I went and looked at it, she was at the heavy equipment mechanic's yard. When I drove around all levers worked, brakes, e brake, throtle, shifts into all gears with ease. While I was driving her the mechanic told my neighbor that if I didn't buy her he would. He was just super impressed with how well she runs for her age and doesn't feel like she has many hours on her. The pony motor start up will take some practice for me but once started she just purrs. Anyways, I bought her for 4k. My neighbor also has an old salvage grader that we are going to see if the scarfier would fit on my new cat. She has the lever for the scarfier and the arms and pin, just is missing the scarfier itself. So I may end up doing some more bartering w/ my neighbor! Let me know what you think and if anyone has any suggestions or advise.

  33. #33ovrszd2008-07-29 12:27

    scarifier The one I ran didn't have a scarifier either. They really get in the way if you are ditching or moving bulky material. But would be handy if trying to work hard packed material. She won't have enough weight/traction/power to cut much hard material with just the blade. Hope it gives you faithful, long service!!!

  34. #34nmmountainman2008-07-29 12:37

    Ovrszd- Thanks! I see your from the show me state. I was born and raised in Columbia. Missouri's a good state. I have fond memories of hunting during the colorful fall. Great place to raise kids too.

  35. #35ovrszd2008-07-29 13:34

    God's Country Yep, God's Country for sure!!!! I'm Northwest of Columbia about 150 miles. Rolling green hills with scattered timber and some of the biggest White Tail Deer in the State.

  36. #36nmmountainman2008-07-29 14:25

    I did a lot of archery white tail hunting and turkey hunting back in my youth up there. Beautiful country. I live in Santa Fe, NM now but own some land in the mountains of northern NM. I posted a previous thread in the Dozer section. I was looking at a dozer prior to my grader purchase. Check out the thread and my pics.

  37. #37tripper_1742009-12-29 10:34

    What a beauty! I put a lot of time on one identical to that trimming streets and parking lots back in the seventies. Excellent vision and you couldn't hurt a curb or move a manhole hidden in gravel. The owner figured it had over 20,000 hours on the engine. They kept it in perfect shape, replaced or rebuilt all steering and lift components so that it was as tight as the day it came out of the factory. You can tell an old operator as he can actually start it! The only real weak spot on them was the steering shaft that came from the steering gearbox down. If you ran into or pushed something like a gravel pile with the wheels turned it could break that shaft. Don't ask me how I know.:beatsme I turned the blade lift levers around so you didn't have to lean as far ahead to reach them. I'm six feet tall but still had to reach for them. Makes it way easier on the back! Once you got the blade lifts adjusted properly they were easier on you and it didn't take long to do that. (If you're not sure how to do that let me know..be glad to help.) Another plus to the old girl is that it wouldn't bounce or duckwalk, mind you it wasn't much faster than duck walking when it was quitting time. Thanks for the pictures, brings back a lot of good memories of that era.

  38. #38nmmountainman2009-12-30 19:36

    here is a few pics of the road building I have done so far with this cat 12 grader

  39. #39nmmountainman2009-12-30 19:44

    a couple more pics

  40. #40nmmountainman2009-12-30 19:46

    Obviously there is still a lot to do. My main goal was to cut a level driveway and start driving on it to compact it. I plan to pull out some trees and ditch it this year. There is a lot of driveway and roads to cut yet. What you see in these pics was all done in one day by a novice opperator, me.

  41. #41grandpa2009-12-30 20:59

    Mountainman... that is one nice looking grader. One word of caution when starting that old girl. The plug wire runs extremely close to the decompression lever so becareful unless you want to see haleys comet and feel the wrath of jesus.... Have fun with her.")

  42. #42RocksnRoses2009-12-30 21:49

    As it does on a D4 6U. That description is spot on, I still have vivid memories from fifty years ago, while the old man was rolling around on the ground, laughing. That's a tidy old grader, nmmountainman, I spent some time on the Australian built equivalent a couple of years ago and that old Cat purrs like a two bob watch. RnR.

  43. #43buggyman2009-12-31 21:46

    Cat 12 Grader Work I like the pictures the old CAT is still a good old girl. I should take some pictures of mine working too... Happy New Year. Paul

  44. #4449cat1122010-01-01 13:48

    My poor 'ol 112 hasn't worked in a while (time and $$$ to put her back together) but she looked real good for Christmas!