Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 12 Water pump

moonshine454 ยท 2012-03-28 20:31

Hi folks! I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with rebuilding the water pump on a 99E motor Grader. And how difficult is it? Also wondering if anybody might know where I could find a place that sells rebuilt or aftermarket ones in Texas. Cat wants $1200 for one and that just ain't going to happen. Thanks for any info!

Replies7
  1. #1Bluetop Man2012-03-28 21:04

    Found this: http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?4337-Cat-D318-Water-Pump

  2. #2Komatsu 1502012-03-29 20:25

    I bought a rebuilt right from Cat but it has been quite a while ago.

  3. #3Bluox2012-03-30 11:07

    Call Cat back and ask about a rebuild kit or if they have a classic pump. Good luck Bob

  4. #4Nige2012-03-30 16:09

    No rebuild kit or Classic Part # as far as I can see. None listed anyway. Need exact machine Serial Number or better still the engine number - there are 3 Serial # ranges of 99E all of which have different Part # of water pumps. What's wrong with the existing pump..? Bearings shot, leaking coolant, ...? Depending on the condition of the current pump it may be easier to rebuild than buy a replacement.

  5. #5moonshine4542012-03-30 21:47

    Thanks folks, I went ahead and bought one from American Crane. Hoping that it is the right one. It is the one that the parts book says that it is (5M-7491). I have my fingers crossed! I probably could have rebuilt it but by the time I get someone to press everything in, my time and paying them. I now have a bigger problem, I broke off the head on one of the bolts to the thermostat housing! Any tips? I have half an inch of bolt sticking out.

  6. #6Bluetop Man2012-03-31 09:16

    Remove any remaining bolts and remove the housing. Heat the broken bolt red hot and allow to cool. It will shrink and should come right out with vice grips or a pipe wrench. A little Kroil up the threads after cooling can help. Then get on your knees and thank Jesus the bolt broke off sticking out and not flush.

  7. #7moonshine4542012-04-02 22:31

    Got the stuck bolt out. It came out pretty easy, I let it soak in PBblaster over the weekend. Do any of ya'll have the torque specs for the water pump bolts and the coolant capacity for 99E3881? Thanks for all the help!