Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 12F grader–newbie learning the ropes

Onfoot · 2020-12-01 15:52

Just became proud owner of a Cat 12F grader. Serial number 59H498. I think it's a 1968, but have had no luck looking up the SN online. Have attached a photo. Seems to run well--everything working, knock on wood. Welcome any wisdom from the forum about the 12F. I bought it to maintain my 1.5 mile gravel driveway. (I live off grid in the Yukon bush.) Thanks!

Replies32
  1. #1grandpa2020-12-01 18:01

    I had one like that years ago. Always enjoyed running that machine. When your sitting in the seat, there is a kick plate at floor level. Under there is a shear pin for your controls, so If they ever quit function make that the first place to look.

  2. #2sled dog2020-12-01 18:53

    Grandpa, good call. If he has no spares he needs to get a couple. It's been years, but used to keep them in a little box down near the floor, but I don't remember what that box was for. Fuses?

  3. #3sled dog2020-12-01 18:56

    Onfoot, keep oil in the gearboxes, and everything greased. Was my most favorite blades to run.

  4. #4Onfoot2020-12-01 23:06

    Thanks, guys! Funny you mention the shear pins. When it was delivered (two nights ago), the transport driver had raised the mould board when he loaded it just in case it failed to start for unloading. It started up fine, but he had managed to break the sheer pin. He didn't know what he had done, but I had been warned by the previous owner who had included a dozen or so. So 5 minutes and she was restored to full function. The previous owner had it for some dozens of years. He's 82 and crippled up, so had been about 4 years since he had it running. He started working graders when he was 15, working for the county who just presumed he had a drivers license! Anyway, it was babied pretty well. Oil levels and etc. all good. No signs of leaking. Sounds pretty when its running. Gears stay where they are supposed to be. Would like to have the brakes engage a bit 'higher' on the brake pedal--but found a maintenance manual online, so will see what I can do. (Brakes work fine--but only about an above the floor board.) Appreciate the wisdom!

  5. #5skyking12020-12-02 00:39

    Sounds like you found a nice piece, good on ya.

  6. #6Onfoot2020-12-02 22:31

    Had her out today for my first run at plowing the driveway. Not that it needed plowing, but wanting to get the hang of the machine. Photo attached. She really purred. Mind you, there are some cosmetic and other minor details that will need attention. E.g.., the RH door latch is beyond repair. Welcome advice about where one might be picked up. Meantime the door stays shut with a bungee...

  7. #7Tugger22020-12-02 23:04

    Looks like a good one. Your certainly in grader country up there with all the gravel roads . Ive seen quite a few retired ones in my travels up there over the years. If you stop at the motel in Dease lake you might have noticed an old picture in the lobby of 3 or 4 graders working at once down highway 37 when it was dirt . I think there is lots of grader history in the north.

  8. #8Onfoot2020-12-03 12:02

    A newbie question: the Cat 12F grader specs, so far as I have been able to determine, call for tire pressure of 35lbs. But I have wondered if snow traction for plowing might benefit from lower pressures--say 20lbs? Any voice of long experience in the community?

  9. #9skyking12020-12-03 21:27

    your door handle might be here. https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/hvo/d/boring-heavy-equipment-parts/7239177750.html

  10. #10Onfoot2020-12-03 22:23

    Thanks, Skyking1. It’s a long shot, but I sent them a note to ask about a door latch. One never knows!

  11. #11Cletus2020-12-05 20:02

    I bought a 14E at the Golden Hill auction in Whitehorse a few years ago. I live in Haines, AK. What side is the door latch for?

  12. #12westerner2020-12-05 21:04

    Heavy equipment tire pressure questions are a great topic. At my shop, there were several schools of thought. The objective was trying to minimize the 'hop' as they attempted to flat-blade a road in 6th or 7th gear. Visit the tire manufacturer for a 'weight/speed' related answer, or visit the 'operating engineers' local for the quick and dirty. Bias vs radial is a significant variable, just like on your truck. The tire manufacturer's site will define the load the tire can handle, at the pressure required to do it. Much more range of application than car/light truck tires.

  13. #13Onfoot2020-12-05 23:36

    Thanks for asking. It's the RH door latch. Attached a couple of photos. The LH is the good one.

  14. #14Onfoot2020-12-05 23:36

    Great advice! Thanks!

  15. #15DB22020-12-05 23:43

    I’ve seen that latch on other equipment before . It was not exclusive to Cat.

  16. #16Cletus2020-12-06 01:02

    I have some extra that I got from Industrial Hardware. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one. If you look at my posts you'll see the door I made.You can buy me a drink at the Wax Museum (Casa Loma) when this China Virus is history!

  17. #17Onfoot2020-12-08 11:53

    Thanks for asking. It's the RH door latch. Attached a couple of photos. The LH is the

  18. #18Onfoot2020-12-08 12:01

    Thanks, DB2! I have ordered a door latch. Much appreciate your help! Also, a few pics from yesterday's adventures on my total ice rink driveway. Was not grading--just trying to get to the top. But with wheels going forward, I began to slide downhill. Ended up with drive wheels over the edge. Quite an adventure! But we survived and learned a few lessons... (very rare to have ice like we have)

  19. #19JPV2020-12-08 14:19

    Ice sucks on a hill with a grader! I would recommend getting chains for the front drivers. Chaining both rear tandems keeps everything pulling evenly in the chain boxes and obviously helps traction as well. The tire that is chained will be pulling quite a bit harder on its chain which could cause premature failure and higher wear.

  20. #20Onfoot2020-12-08 14:35

    Yeah. I have a second set of chains coming. Live and learn!

  21. #21DB22020-12-08 14:43

    Next time try I would try backing up the hill if room permits. Also agree need chains on all 4 drive wheels

  22. #22Onfoot2020-12-13 19:19

    Hey guys. We're still in business! Current project is to get the cab heater working. It came to me in pieces with a new core. Do some testing as I put it back together, I discover that the bearings in one of the fan motors is shot. So now I am looking for a fan motor. The Cat P/N is 701464. Attached a photo of the motors and their setup, along with a schematic of the heater motor assy. Welcome any leads! Thanks!!!

  23. #23tjdno12020-12-13 19:27

    Suggest next fall just before freezeup blade it and leave a windrow on the slide off side. If you slide it will stop when it hits the windrow of gravel. Bus driver used to ask the county to leave a windrow on the drop off side of a big hill he had, said it saved his life more than once..

  24. #24Onfoot2020-12-13 21:33

    U Useful advice, tjdno1! Thanks! The front end loader fellow made the same recommendation. Next year!

  25. #25Onfoot2020-12-14 12:41
  26. #26skyking12021-01-02 14:33

    Things like fan motors, you're best to improvise. I'd even get one of the clamp mount fog clearing fans and cobble it up to get heat!! With a glass house like that, I would also consider one or more of them to keep the glass clear.

  27. #27John C.2021-01-02 14:48

    We used to put one chain on the front and one on the opposite side on the back. I didn't operate them, just put the chains on where the operator wanted them so don't know if it made a difference or not. Most of the county machines I've had to inspect in the winter had the chains on the front drivers. Some had chains on the steer tires as well.

  28. #28John C.2021-01-02 14:51

    If the armature didn't get damaged, I used to go to a bearing house and have them match up a new set. Low voltage motors generally don't burn up, the bearings just get stuck.

  29. #29Onfoot2021-01-02 21:35

    Found the motor. It is actually pretty standard--but now made by a different company and of course with different part numbers. Found one locally, but here is the fan at Grainger's: https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/...ionZones&cm_sp=NS-_-RV-_-NA-_-PR-_-NT-NA-_-EN

  30. #30Tugger22021-01-02 21:54

    Looks like a good find. I just bought a new heater for one of my cranes , same idea as yours with 2 fans . 1100.00 from Greg Distributors . Painfull price ,but gotta be warm to keep operators happy.,even when your the operator.

  31. #31grandpa2021-01-05 07:46

    When you reassemble that heating unit be sure to mount that core in secure with rubber. Also pay attention when putting the two halfs back together to make sure the on/off switch is located on top instead of on the bottom,,, much easier to turn off and on.

  32. #32Onfoot2021-01-06 21:02

    Thanks for the wisdom, Grandpa. I got the switch on top, but did not think about securing the core with rubber. Makes sense and is easy to remedy. Appreciate the tip!