Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo G960B

BertEe · 2020-11-28 19:04

does anyone have any experience with volvo graders? i am planning on getting one g960b what can i expect from it? what are the common problems?

Replies8
  1. #1DB22020-11-28 19:57

    Don’t abuse the diff lock. The earlier 9 series differentials were a weak point. B should he ok. If equipped emissions can need updating at the dealer level. We currently have a 946C and its my favorite to operate. Sadly they don’t make them anymore.

  2. #2funwithfuel2020-11-28 23:28

    Ratchet shifter, breaks wires off flush with the body.

  3. #3DB22020-11-29 00:06

    Good point FWF ! Here is an old post about the shifter.

  4. #4BertEe2020-12-04 22:16

    Do you folks think the machine is to gentle? Should I stick with cat?

  5. #5DB22020-12-04 22:31

    Volvo B series is going to compare to Cat M series age wise. They aren’t without their own problems. They all have issues. Volvo’s have been discontinued though so that’s a factor.

  6. #6BertEe2020-12-04 22:54

    I got a pretty good deal on it, so I am close to accepting it. We do have some Volvo machines (excavators, trucks) and they've been ok. I am a CAT fan my self, but this deal is to good to turn blind eye on it.

  7. #7DB22020-12-04 23:20

    We’ve had several Volvo’s 9 series now and most of the problems were with the earlier ones. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another if it was a deal.

  8. #8Silveroddo2020-12-16 22:01

    I would really consider the lack of future product support. They're done building them and from what I've seen there's no real commitment to future product support. I run several old champions and really like them, but the dealings I've had with Volvo would keep me from going down that road if it was a machine I had any real dependence on.