Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 130G military 9Y series

KTRasch ยท 2016-12-26 09:01

I am restoring a 130G I acquired from government disposal. It is sn 9Y6 and shows to be a 1978 machine according to the ID plate. Wondered if anyone has further detail on the history of the 9Y series machines. I have previously owned a 7GB series 130G 1980 vintage and have become very fascinated with these machines. Once the 9Y unit is completed, it will replace the 7GB I sold sometime back and make my ranch roads happy again. FYI: I started operating blades in the 60s beginning with an 8T with a dry clutch.

Replies6
  1. #1ovrszd2016-12-26 09:48

    Welcome to HEF!!!! Hopefully someone can chime in with information concerning your new project. Post pics of your progress.

  2. #2Graderfan19812016-12-31 19:02

    I have interest on photos from your restore project, i like when older grader get restored

  3. #3KTRasch2017-01-02 11:40

    Cat 9Y6 engine conversion This 1978 Cat 130G was in salvage condition including the 3304PC engine had a bad crankshaft and had been exposed to rain into the cylinders. I bought a salvage 100KW generator from a government sale and used the 3306PC engine for this project intending to upgrade the machine's power plant. We went through the 6 cylinder engine and added the necessary accessories for the installation which is getting close to being complete along w/ a fuel setting for 140G specs. The transmission and drive line components checked out and the hydraulics were fairly complete other than missing hydraulic cylinders, hoses, and fitting. It's been like working on a crossword puzzle even though we have a complete set of books for both 130G and 140G. The moldboard was missing so I bought a used 14 footer from an auction of a Cat 12F salvage. There is no tip cylinder or plumbing but I plan to add that at a later time. It's interesting that the 12F has 6 circle shoes while the 130G has only 4. I plan to do an upgrade to the drawbar which has existing repair and so it will be up to the 140G upgrade. The 13:00 tires will be replaced w/ 14:00s as well. The machine had an enclosed cab with the glass and doors broken or missing. I've replaced it w/ a custom open cab which will work fine on my ranch in Cochise County AZ. I have been looking for sometime for all of needed missing parts including a wheel lean cylinder and articulation cylinders (I now have located) but still need a scarifier cylinder. I'm having much frustration on trying to post pictures as I'm not much on computer operations, I'm just an old retired Arizona Ranger.

  4. #4blacktruck2017-01-16 15:00

    Info?? New guy to the forum but long time around heavy equipment. What kind of info are you looking for specifically? I have a friend with the company that might be a source if he has something to go on. Funny that, I spent a lot of time in around and under the 130G. More than capable machine in the hands of good operator.

  5. #5KTRasch2017-01-18 11:41

    Info including when and how many were built and differences from the 7GB series such as engine and configuration changes.

  6. #6KTRasch2017-01-31 22:04

    I need to address the drawbar / circle considering I'm putting 140G power on the 130G components. Anyone familiar with strengthening of these components?