Hi just put in a reman long block into machine. Starts rough and smokes like crazy, low and high idle. Double and triple checked injection pump timing, valve lash, injectors are good.I have a new mechanical gauge attached to the hose off the side of injection pump, When using the hand primer pump (which don’t leak when using) I get some pressure 15psi it drops to 0 in a matter of two mins, I’m confused when I look up a check valve it shows me the hand pump, also when running fuel pressure around 26psi you can use the hand pump and still smokes, also when running started cracking injection lines and still smoked a lot and ran rougher. I’m at a lost now what to check?
Black smoke?
Yes black/blue, I’m going to put a boost gauge on and see if turbo is working.
When I had 3306's in my 330 Cats, I had to replace the aneroid (air fuel control) diaphragm on the injection pump(s). The diaphragm would tear at higher hours. IIRC, though, they didn't smoke at idle. Is your aneroid even hooked up (small pipe/ tubing from intake manifold)? Does it smoke with turbo air inlet disconnected (don't even think about putting anything near an open turbo inlet, rag, tools hand, etc...)? Use due diligence if you try that. Could someone have left a rag (or whatever you covered the ducting with) in the intake tubing somewhere between the air filter, charge air cooler, or turbo?
Have you checked the fuel lines from the tank to the primer pump? Did you check the O ring seal in the fuel strainer housing. Sometimes a precup engine will do that till the rings seat in. If you are sure everything is good, you need to get a load on the engine to get those firing temps up.
Are you timing off the cylinder towards the radiator or the flywheel housing? Bad Bob
Where did the long block come from?
Timing hole thru flywheel pin it and check #1(towards the front cover housing) both rocker arms loose then the side plate on injection pump the 3/8 bolt taken out and 1/4 pin slides all the way in.
Thats #1 towards the back of the cab is the correct way, its surprising how many gets the engine turned around like setting valves. Is this the same pump that came off your old motor? Bad Bob
Yes same pump from old motor, old motor had 150hrs on a rebuild didn’t smoke or lack power but had an overheating issue, I found bad head gasket tore apart and found two cracked head bolt holes from another mechanic that rebuilt before coming to me, I put on a new primer pump This morning and a boost gauge gotten alot better with smoke but still has some about half of what it was, also found #6 injection line leAking at the injector, got new one on its way hopefully after that it will run correctly
Are you using Cat nozzels or aftermarket