Hi. My 1980 Cat 140g makes a growling noise and vibrates in high range (4th 5th 6th gear) under load. I have changed the u joints and checked the drive chains and sprockets. I cannot pinpoint this noise. Could this be the transmission going bad? Anyone have this problem before and have any ideas? Seems to run fine and is not noticed in low range. Thanks.
It could be transmission, of maybe the differential. Bad bearings in the diff will growl, sometimes you will only hear it at speed. I would try to fix it before long, as it can get more expensive the longer you run it. I know some good independant trans and rear end specialists if you are interested.
bodiebob One of the best ways to help analyze these types of problems is to have an SOS run at your local Cat Dealer; transmission and both tandems. They're cheap when all else is considered! One of the most common high speed growling problems I seen over the years is not running perfectly matched tandem tires. Every grader I've ever been on with mismatched tandem tires sounds and feels like you're sitting on a giant hornets nest when you get in the higher gears. Regards Randy
Bodiebob, funny i find this thread today, customer called today with the same machine but his is low speed vibration and noise, in higher speeds he says it goes away. I will let you know what i find next week....drop the oil in the diff housing, you can quickly remove/ reinstall the plug with clean drain pan underneath 1/2 gallon of oil is plenty, shinny oil ok chunks bad. In the trans remove the filter and pull the pleats apart chromey flakes are gear, if you can count the pieces in a minute your ok if not count your money before it leaves your check book it will be plenty, chunks are bad again, i have only remaned a couple of these transmissions but something stick in my head that (one) planetary group is common to 4,5,6 and not to 1,2,3 send trans serial number i can look it up.. And how in the heck can you load speeds 4,5,6? What u-joints did you change? Must have been the pump drive coupler? Same problem in reverse?............. Theironoracle
bodiebob, took a look at my vibration and noise, it was more of a growl, dropped sample from diff only flakes on magnet, trans filter looked good, chain cases looked good, decided it was wheel speed related so dropped more oil out of differential and found small chunks with a finger probe, this thing must just be starting to develop. I'll post some pictures in "shop talk" under "all in days (or two) work" if the customer gives the go ahead on the repair...theironoracle