Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 140H Serial Prefix 5HM in Australia

Pickawinna · 2023-08-30 06:09

Hi everyone. I am just chasing any advice on 140H's with the 5HM prefix in Australia. I think these machines are manufactured in Brazil. Is there any issues around parts availability or any other hidden problems with owning a machine with this prefix in Aus? Any input appreciated. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Queenslander2023-08-30 06:22

    We have a tier 2 CCA that was manufactured in Brazil and have had no issues with parts etc., been a great machine. I believe the 5HM is the older version with 3306 motor.

  2. #2Pickawinna2023-08-30 06:53

    Thanks. That’s good to hear. It’s a bit hard to figure out Cat serial numbers. So maybe 5hm is series 1 and CCA is series 2 by the sounds. This 5hm is series 1 configuration by the looks.

  3. #3Nige2023-08-30 06:56

    Call your Cat dealer and ask them to look up the 5HM prefix in the online parts system. If it shows up then it will be no more problematical than any other model to get parts for. I’ve never seen a Brazilian-built machine yet that was a problem identifying parts.

  4. #4Pickawinna2023-08-30 07:00

    Thanks Nige. Yep that was on my to do list today…but my list was longer than the day. Will be on it in the morning.

  5. #5Nige2023-08-30 08:31

    Update. 5HM shows up for me. I put a few Serial Numbers in at random and even the machine arrangement & options came up. It appears that in total around 4000 machines were built.

  6. #6Pickawinna2023-08-30 17:03

    That's good to hear. The one I am looking at is closer to the end of the production by far....as it should be going on it's year of production.

  7. #7Cmark2023-08-30 18:17

    Be aware that Brazilian built machines tend to suffer from rust more than the USA built ones. Check out the engine enclosure panels and around the cab roof.

  8. #8Pickawinna2023-08-30 22:19

    Thanks Cmark. I reckon the Brazilian climate would be ideal to kickstart the rusting process. My climate, thankfully, slows the oxidation process almost to a halt. This machine looks pretty clean as far as I can see.

  9. #9Welder Dave2023-08-30 23:18

    Is there a known reason for this like maybe the primer or paint isn't as good?

  10. #10Cmark2023-08-30 23:20

    I think they just had quality issues at the factory. Back in the day a lot of Brazilian built machines were repainted to a greater or lesser degree under warranty.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-08-30 23:23

    Sounds like poor prep. and maybe less experienced painters or bad paint and primer.

  12. #12Queenslander2023-08-31 05:49

    Can’t say that I’ve studied it that closely, but the paint quality of our grader hasn’t struck me as being much different than that of any of our other Cat gear manufactured in various places around the world.