Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 140M aircon trouble

JAJ · 2025-10-15 02:56

Cat 140m B9d03982 Hi I am having trouble getting into the box under the seat to access the blower fan and evaporator. It looks like half the cab has to come out to get metal box off that the seat mounts too… is there an easy way to get in there?? I think I have a worn out blower motor, it got slower intermittently, but progressively more often over a few hours. Now when the fan first gets switched on the fan goes at full speed for a few seconds then starts slowing down. All fan speeds affected and the fuses are getting hot. It is almost like a bad earth or connection, so I am thinking that or worn out brushes. Any other ideas most welcome!!!

Replies16
  1. #1JAJ2025-10-16 02:10

    Never mind…. Went with the pull everything apart method. I thought for something semi-serviceable it should have been a lot easier to get to! While disassembling half the cab I was thinking who ever designed this knew they were never going to have to fix it…but fan motor looks like it might be original so maybe they knew it was going to last 13 years!

  2. #2Legdoc2025-10-16 20:02

    I feel your pain. I had to pull the air seat on my 120H to access the evaporator. Only thing to disconnect was the air line. That seat took two strong men to handle it. A real PITA.

  3. #3Simon C2025-10-16 23:52

    I took one out of a 140G with another man and it is very heavy especially to get through door. It is high up in the air when trying to take down. Simon C

  4. #4JAJ2025-10-17 11:21

    Yeah when it started playing up I unbolted the seat and went to pull it out by my self…. Thought I had forgot a bolt haha. This seat has a 24v air compressor in the base as well and was two people to get it out… it’s going to be fun getting it back in might need three people. The worst part was how much stuff had to come out to get to all the bolts for the metal cover/seat base. I haven’t had to get into my G series but I don’t think it could be as bad as this, could be wrong though… have been before! -Panel cover on right side floor with telematics mounted to the top. -window washer tank on left side with six washer pumps with associated hoses and wires that you couldn’t really get a hand too and didn’t want to come off. -left side joystick floor mount had to be unbolted and twisted outwards to get the bolt under the AC intake duct work at the back. Anyway we picked up the new parts today so have to travel back to the job and put the grader back together again in the next couple days. It’s out in the paddock still and we are forecast to get temps between 40-44*C over the next few days so will be well worth the effort.

  5. #5bigrus2025-12-31 01:20

    I feel your pain. Just been through the same deal but I'm not an owner operator these days. Three times in the last 12 months with 3 different "fitters". Now it's had a clean & new compressor etc, I'm running the thermostat at 12 o'clock & it's freezing till the heat hits about 2pm. Working south west of Carinda NSW. On the engine side, temperature gauge was "off its tits" by midday with light work even before I left over near Gulargumbone. The boss was convinced we hadn't cleaned the radiator properly. One of the contract fitters, ex Mine, wanted to replace the intercooler, radiator & water pump (big $$$$) The bush fitter, 3rd one to look at it, removed the radiator & also the engine oil cooler. It was 80% blocked with bits of rubber. He ordered a new oil cooler (RH side) finally solving the overheating. Now even with a very blocked radiator only goes up from 87-88c to 90c The worst part, the boss speared the bush fitter, reckoned he was charging him too many hours !

  6. #6bigrus2025-12-31 15:43

    Happy New 2026 Yes. hoisting the whole seat out really a Hi Ab job. The filter behind the seat, another B S job but after years operating conventional control layout graders, I can spend a long shift on an M with reaching for the Panadols

  7. #7Tyler d4c2025-12-31 17:47

    Thats not a problem here today!

  8. #8bigrus2025-12-31 18:07

    26c this morning

  9. #9bigrus2025-12-31 18:08

    Bollocking cold by the look of the snow

  10. #10Tyler d4c2025-12-31 22:55

    20 ish f temp not c

  11. #11Nige2025-12-31 23:23

    IMHO the only sensible place for snow is on a Xmas card….. Very pleasant here today. A low of 14 C, high of 22

  12. #12Shimmy12026-01-01 00:14

    Quit bragging. We had -10F last night. Going to get back up tomorrow, but it was a cold basterd out there today. Overall, this winter has been pretty good.

  13. #13bigrus2026-01-02 20:48

    I can't imagine what it would be like working in those polar conditions. Where I work, is semi-arid tending to desert. Lucky nothing feral bigger than pigs either.

  14. #14Tyler d4c2026-01-02 21:05

    On the bad days we sit inside lookomg out here we only get maybe 15 days a year that its really really bad out. Coqldust and rest them fellas up north or the crqzy ones with the 40 below. Here the coldest ive ever seen was 25 below in f degress of course none of that centipeed temps

  15. #15Shimmy12026-01-02 21:12

    Boy, your ifone is spelling good today haha.

  16. #16Tyler d4c2026-01-03 08:34

    Fat thumb and lack of editing add in a little bit of some adhd or something and some hillbilly and you get poor spellin