Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 140M3awd articulation is not properly aligned

mattyg ยท 2022-03-06 18:08

Hello, I have a 2015 cat 140m3 awd and when I press the button for return to center it does not line up properly. Does anyone know how this is adjusted? Is it something Cat has to do with the computer? Thanks Matt

Replies8
  1. #1cuttin edge2022-03-06 19:07

    The cat guys will probably want serial number if there is more than one way to do it.

  2. #2Nige2022-03-06 21:01

    It's a process that requires Cat ET. Unless you have a local independent mechanic who has it then unfortunately it's a dealer job. Whoever is digging into the machine it would be worthwhile to have all the software checked in each ECM to make sure ithe latest version.

  3. #3ovrszd2022-03-07 11:42

    I would look for the mechanical mechanism that talks to the electronic sensor. See if it's adjustable. When it "auto returns" it moves until the mechanical sensor says it straight. In your case that sensor if slightly off. I have no idea where it is located. NIGE might know or be able to find it quickly.

  4. #4Nige2022-03-07 12:08

    Good idea. The articulation angle sensor is located behind a guard on the lower LH side of the rear frame. It is "driven" by a rod linkage mounted to the front frame. First I'd suggest making sure that nothing in the sensor mounting or the linkage is loose. If everything's tight then try lengthening the operating rod #8 slightly and see what happens. If that takes the centre point of the articulation the wrong way then you'll have to shorten it.

  5. #5ovrszd2022-03-07 14:54

    Good stuff Nige!!! Thanks for searching that. This is how JD is but I wasn't sure about CAT. Here's my adjustment method. JD has a transport pin that can be installed at the articulation joint to lock the frame in the straight position. I insert that pin. Power up the machine. Adjust the linkage until the gauge says I'm running straight.

  6. #6mattyg2022-03-07 16:38

    Thank you guys for the replies! I will check it out tomorrow. Matt

  7. #7ovrszd2022-03-07 17:42

    Let us know how it works out.

  8. #8mattyg2022-03-20 18:13

    Adjusting the linkage worked!! The guard that i took off to gain access to the linkage was facing the transmission. Removing the guard facing forward does not give enough room to work. Thank you guys for the help!! My season starts in 2 weeks and I am very happy to have this fixed.