Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My big 14M steering system problem

Olori Joshua · 2022-02-23 11:53

I will be happiest if I get a client 14M motor grader steering working again. Will be in big mess if it don't work because I told them the problem is the primary steering control valve module. They Believed me and spent big money to get a new one and after installing it same problem. Below is the codes gotten with CAT ET and warning lights showing on the monitor. Thanks

Replies51
  1. #1Nige2022-02-23 13:02

    Serial Number.? EDIT: Found it on your photo - R9J00207. Questions: 1. When you took that 1st photo was the steering set hard over to the right.? 2. Has it had any steering cylinders repaired or replaced recently.? 3. What software Part Numbers does it have installed in the Implement #1 & #2/Transmission/Engine ECMs.? Four ECMs in total. 4. Do you have the capability to upload new/updated software flash files.?

  2. #2Olori Joshua2022-02-24 02:19

    Thanks for your reply sir. Answers to your questions. 1.when I took the first picture, yes it will steer hard right sometimes and not steer back. Sometimes times it steer left fine and and stop always at right full steer. 2. I have not asked so I don't even know for now. Maybe will ask and get back to you . 3. I upgraded all the ECMs except the product link ecm With the above flash files 4. Yes I have the capability to upload new software files. I have cat diagnostic tools. I have carried out 2202-12 code troubleshooting and all wires to the primary steering control valve module from implement ecm #1 are good, no short and no open circuit and the primary steering control valve pull up resistor resistance is ok. I got 503 Ohms. I seem not to understand what the problem is now. I'm only good at the electrical side I'm not a mechanical guy. Yes that is the correct serial number: R9J00207 Thanks.

  3. #3Olori Joshua2022-02-24 03:53
  4. #4BigWrench552022-02-24 07:21

    Is this a sudden failure or a gradual failure? Any story to go along with the problem? What did the operator tell you? It sounds like to me that one of the steer cylinders packing is blown.

  5. #5Nige2022-02-24 07:51

    I need to go digging a bit but I have some more questions meantime. 1. What Part Number of steering control valve did you install.? Was the valve brand-new.? 2. Has anyone tried disconnecting the steering cylinders, jack up the front axle until the wheels are off the ground, and try moving the wheels manually to check for something mechanical binding in the front axle.? While they are doing that check for excessive play in all the front axle/wheel pivot points. You need to ask some more questions to the operator/customer........ Does the problem only occur when the steering is at maximum turn angle and when the joystick is moved in the other direction the steering fails to move back towards the centre in response to the joystick.? If the answer confirms that the steering "fails to respond" only when it is at maximum turn angle then I would strongly suspect something mechanical in the front axle as the root cause. Is the problem worse when turning left, when turning right, or about the same both ways.? Regarding Point #2 above. The particular areas to inspect are circled in the illustration below but I would suggest to inspect every ball joint, tie rod, & pivot while you are in there. Also keep a close eye on the axle as the machine is being jacked up and see if you can see any play anywhere.

  6. #6Olori Joshua2022-02-24 09:25

    Thanks for your reply sir. It's a gradual failure because the steering system still work now sometimes and sometimes Struggling to steer right. Anytime it fails it's when it's fully steer right and the warning lights for primary and secondary steering will come up and steering will fail. The messenger will display a steering system malfunction. I haven't go check the steering cylinder yet but I will now that you made mention of it. No plenty story the operator said the failing has been there for long and was using the machine like that but becoming too failing often now so they brought it to a stop and ordered for the problem be fixed. I'm on the machine now.

  7. #7Olori Joshua2022-02-24 09:54

    Thanks for reply sir. Answers to your questions. 1. The part number is 3080934 2. No one has disconnected the steering cylinder since I started my work on the machine. We will try that now but what do you mean by mechanical binding and excessive play in th front axle/wheel pivot joints? Yes the problem only occurs when it's maximum at steering right cylinder position 100% from the Et status. The problem has not happen when it's on left steer full angle or half way. Left steer is smooth and no problem anytime it steer left. Anytime it steer left it return smoothly. The steering is at maximum right steer now and not returning. The I'm suspecting something wrong with the steering right cylinder but I don't know exact what it could be.

  8. #8Nige2022-02-24 12:04

    Steering control valve you installed is the latest Part Number. Was it new or used.? What I mean is that if you have wear in either of those joints that I circled in the illustration above on both the left and the right side of the machine there could be a possibility that the steering is becoming jammed mechanically when the wheels are at full right turn angle because of wear in the pivots. Watch those pivots very carefully for any movement (there should be zero if everything is in good order) when you jack up the front of the machine. If anything moves in the slightest when you jack up the machine then the pivots will most likely require disassembly and evaluation then rebuild with new parts before proceeding. The other possibility is internal within the steering cylinders. Do not assume that the right cylinder could be the problem just because the steering jams when steered to the right. It could just as easily be the LH cylinder with a problem. The reason I asked if either cylinder had been rebuilt is that there is a position sensor inside it that requires re-calibration if the cylinder has been disassembled for any reason. That is the same sensor that gives you the 0-100% “cylinder extension” reading on ET I will speculate right now that the machine does not have an automatic grease system. I don’t think that I have ever seen an M-series front axle adequately greased unless the machine had autolube fitted, and even then it was a lottery. Lack of grease causes accelerated wear in the pivots. Did the operator happen to mention what he had to do in order to “un-seize” the steering when the problem first started to occur.?

  9. #9Nige2022-02-24 17:07

    Another suggestion. Don't forget to put the lock pin (or a large nut & bolt) in the front axle before you lift it up. That way both front wheels will lift off the ground at the same time and also the front wheel lean cylinder will not be able to move. See the attachment for information regarding the steering cylinder sensors. Ask the customer did this problem start maybe just after a steering cylinder was replaced or repaired.?

  10. #10crane operator2022-02-24 17:44

    Being the expert mechanic that I am , I'm just going to throw out a wild idea. Could you just take the hoses off of the steering cylinders and swap ends? If the problem is control- it should throw it all to the left, and if its a cylinder issue, things should still be messed up in the front end and staying to the right. I. E. on the steering cylinders swap rod for piston sides by switching the hoses and see what it does. Nige is the expert here on anything CAT, but it would at least narrow it down from if you have a issue up front, vs problems with the electrical control. Of course I could be full of nonsense and nothing would work right on the machine because there's a bunch of sensors that won't let it do that. I guess you could also put in some pressure gauges on the front between hose and cylinder and see if its putting any pressure out at the hose when the control is telling it to turn. You can also remove non pressure side hose on the "turn left" and see if you have hydraulic bypassing the piston of the cylinder, because of damage in the barrel when its at full right and you are telling it to go left. If there's hydraulic coming out of that return side, and the cylinder isn't moving, there's damage inside. And just because I'm curious- in the steering diagnostic and set up that you attached nige- if the cylinder fell out of the range allowed for movement right- I. E. the cylinder has gone further to the right than the parameters of the system allows, would that then lock the steering and not allow steering in either direction because there is a fault and its out of the range- and then the system shuts off?

  11. #11Nige2022-02-24 18:51

    Exactly why I was asking had any cylinders been repaired or changed recently. If a cylinder is registering a different percentage of movement than it actually has moved physically bad things can happen. I had the dubious pleasure of working with very early M-Series graders and can tell you it was a painful learning process. Software upgrades and service programs were coming almost monthly back then. Steering updates were top of the list IIRC. Not a bad idea at all. I think that it ought to be possible to swap the hoses where they come off the front chassis on to the axle underneath that tin cover right behind the push block. My first though was something mechanical jamming one or other front wheel at full right lock. Pulling two pins disconnects the steering cylinders so it ought to be pretty easy once that is done to jack up the front end and look for play and/or move it left & right to check for anything binding up. As I mentioned above unless the machine is equipped with autolube (and I can't see the grease pump on top of the drawbar in the photo above) I'd pretty much guarantee that all the front axle grease points will be under-lubricated. There are 16 grease points in total on that front axle if I my memory serves me correctly.

  12. #12Olori Joshua2022-02-25 10:46

    I am sorry now for my late reply, been busy trying to get it working again. we have not carried out any of mechanical work. yes no automatic grease system. according to what they told me not the operator, they said anytime it stop steering they will off the machine and leave it for like three minutes and start it again, sometimes it start working immediately again and sometimes not work. We have not done any mechanical work yet because power to the primary steering control module is cutting off anytime it won't work. There is a green indicator light that will light when it receives power and it will steer fine and the light goes of when it won't steer. this is something we noticed today. The primary steering valve module I had thought they bought new is not new, one of their worker told me that today. He said it's not a new one but one loosed from another 14M of same serial number prefix in their workshop that has it's engine overhauled. They lied to me. When I confront their manager he said it's too expensive to buy when they not 100% sure it's the problem. Today I carried out 2202-12 diagnostic code troubleshooting again. all wires are good, no open no shorting. my question now is why is the power to the module shutting of sometimes? can the other things you mentioned be responsible? if yes we should be going checking all that tomorrow. steering works fine even to right and left anytime the primary control valve module receives power and the green indicator light on it lit. Thanks

  13. #13Olori Joshua2022-02-25 11:17

    Thanks for your reply. I understood all you explained plus I believe they could be the likely causes. one thing is if the primary steering control module is not receiving power, no hydraulic oil will flow to the steering system and so no steering will function. I discovered today that the steering system only stopped steering when the primary steering control valve module don't receive power from the implement #1 ECM. I carried out 2202-12 and all wires are ok, no open no shorting. pull up resistor resistance 503 Ohms. I had thought it's a new primary steering control valve module they fixed but today I found out it's an old one and I don't know the condition before. I'm still having all active logged event code on my first post. E258 (3), E1374 (3), E1375 (3)

  14. #14Olori Joshua2022-02-25 11:23

    no cylinder has been repaired the workshop mechanic guy told me that today but i don't believe this time.

  15. #15Nige2022-02-25 11:37

    I need to apologize. I saw your Steering Valve Part Number and recognized it from my 16M experience. It is not correct for your particular 14M S/N R9J00207. The correct P/N is 308-0935. So you need to dig into the original steering valve (the one you removed) a bit deeper, specifically into the electro-hydraulic actuator. Ref #9 circled in the illustration below. What Part Number is it.? The latest reliable version of that actuator is Part Number 471-7935. Earlier Part Numbers such as 301-5359 & 380-0405 suffered from problems of intermittent operation on machines with high operating hours. We had many failures of both those P/N on early 16M graders built around the same time as your 14M. At one time I recall we had our entire 16M fleet down and every one of them was waiting for a steering valve actuator. None were available anywhere in Cat's Parts system. My guess is that you will find a 380-0405 installed because the latest P/N was only fitted from machines R9J00931-Up. If that is the case then you should replace the existing actuator with a NEW 471-7935 actuator. Also replace the seals Ref #2. Seal kit Part Number 301-5657.

  16. #16Nige2022-02-25 17:25

    Sorry should have also included the latest Service documentation from when the 471-7935 was introduced. The 471-7935 valve actuator was effective ex-factory from machine R9J01368 onwards, so well after your machine was built.

  17. #17Nige2022-02-25 18:51

    There has been another change in that valve actuator. It is now up to "Generation 7". The latest P/N from 2019 is 559-3552 which replaces 471-4935. All 14M graders with S/N prefix R9J up to the last machine built can use this P/N of actuator. If you purchase the actuator from the Cat dealer whichever of those Part Numbers you order you should receive the 559-3552.

  18. #18Olori Joshua2022-02-26 02:18

    Many thanks sir for taking your time to see I get all needed for my client 14M steering problem fixed. Just as you have mentioned I was thinking the same too, that a new steering valve module should be fixed as we don't know the conditions of the ones we have been working with. Now that you've have helped with the correct part number ( 308-0935 ) I think I should make them buy it and hopefully it fixed the almighty steering problem when installed as the wires are ok and updated flash files installed. Another thing I need to ask is; can I change the electro-hydraulic actuator alone, the one you circled ( 471-7935) ? I will not fail to give update on how it's going with us. Thanks sir Nige for the information you have been proffering free. I know this will be of great help to many others too.

  19. #19Nige2022-02-26 09:31

    Based on your location I would suggest that you order the latest 559-3552 Part Number. There is a small chance that your dealer may have an "old" 471-4935 in his parts stock and you do not really want that one - you want the latest "Gen 7" design of actuator. Yes you can change just the actuator without changing anything else on the steering valve. Be sure to change the five seals between the actuator and the body of the steering valve. Using the old ones is pretty much a guarantee that it will leak after installation. Take a look at this thread regarding a steering valve actuator failure on a 140M. Some of the Events/Codes are identical to yours and so was the diagnosis - a defective actuator. Note also that this guy replaced the resistor in addition to the actuator. Please note carefully the comments made in Posts #8 & #17 regarding the shuttle valve/resolver which is not part of the actuator but will probably be stuck to it when the old actuator is removed from the steering valve. The resolver should be removed from the old actuator and installed in the new actuator before installtion. Also note the fact that the new 559-3552 actuator comes complete with a set of new seals. HeavyEquipmentForums

  20. #20Olori Joshua2022-02-28 08:02

    Alright thanks. I won't forget to remove the valve resolver from the actuator if there is need to change only the actuator. The workshop mechanic want to lose the complete steering valve now for us to check the condition of the actuator spool. I will post the result here. I read how Kxmulisha resolved his 140M all most same steering problem. His thread on the 140M is a guide too.

  21. #21Nige2022-03-01 12:08

    I assume you mean to disassemble the main valve, because as far as I know the actuator is sealed. Make sure you post loads of photos. I've never seen the inside of one of those valves. With only 8300 operating hours on the machine I would expect it to look like new. TBH I think he's wasting his time but if that's what is necessary to convice the customer to buy a new actuator then it is what it is.

  22. #22Olori Joshua2022-03-03 11:28

    Yes he did disassembled it. some of the spools where not free, he did some servicing and assembled back and mounted back. We experienced a little improvement, the primary and secondary steering failure indicator lights went off, we thought the problem had fixed, we drove the grader round the yard but it still failed and lights came up again while we were still driving it. shut off the machine and started it again after a while and light went off again and steering system work and again light came up after a while and steering system stop responding again with a "steering system failure" indicating on the messenger. Sorry no plenty pictures, wasn't with him all through.

  23. #23Nige2022-03-03 11:41

    That's an old-style actuator in your photo. As I said before bearing in mind the 2012 build date of your machine I suspect it is probably original and would be the exact same Part Number that caused all our steering problems. Because our machines worked 24/7 we saw the same issue many years ago but at probably similar operating hours to the 8000+ on your machine. Compare your actuator with the photo of a new replacedment posted by @kxmulisha in his thread. The new-style actuator is smaller and a different shape although it mounts to the steering valve in the same way. I have money riding on a bet that the actuator is the root cause of your steering problem.

  24. #24Olori Joshua2022-03-07 04:12

    They have placed order for a new complete valve with this part number 3800405. I wanted this part number that you gave 308-0935 but they said they had a problem like this before and it this part number they used 3800405. They mostly wanted to be sure it is the valve problem which I have confirmed for them. Thank you all for your contributions. Now we await when the valve is ready and hopefully the 14M steering problem be a thing of the past. What was the solution then?

  25. #25Nige2022-03-07 09:09

    A new actuator.

  26. #26Nige2022-03-07 09:38

    That is the (old) Part Number for the actuator. What they will actually receive is 559-3552 because that is the latest Part Number. When it arrives take a photo, it should look exactly like the photo of the new replacement posted by @kxmulisha in his thread.

  27. #27Nige2022-03-07 11:08

    Don't worry. 380-0405 upgrades to 309-0935 so that is what they should receive. There is an even later Part Number available, 571-6901 so they might even receive that. Correction: They have ordered a complete new steering valve. Jeez I wish I had their cheque book.......... It will no doubt fix the issue but I shudder to think how much the new valve is going to cost when a change of a $1000 actuator on the existing valve would have solved the problem.

  28. #28Olori Joshua2022-03-08 01:27

    Alright. Thanks. Not so sure the actuator alone is the problem so they thought it was the best for a complete steering valve.

  29. #29Olori Joshua2022-03-08 01:32

    On all M series steering problem you have had?

  30. #30Nige2022-03-20 13:06

    Like your machine we had a lot of the very early M-Series graders that were built from 2008 onwards. All of those early machines without exception suffered from "steering problems". The reliability of the steering valve actuator (NOTE only the actuator, not the complete steering valve) was a problem until around 2015 if I recall correctly. The first long-term actuator Part Number that I would consider as "reliable" was 471-7935, yet even that Part Number was replaced by the latest 559-3552 Part Number in November 2019, so obviously the factory did not consider it as sufficently reliable or it would not have been replaced. M-Series graders built from 2015 onwards should not suffer from the steering valve actuator problems.

  31. #31Nige2022-04-08 12:16

    Any updates.? Have you recevied the new steering valve yet.?

  32. #32Olori Joshua2022-04-11 05:03

    No, we are still expecting it. Thanks for your concern. Will not fail to update when it is ready.

  33. #33Olori Joshua2022-12-20 09:02

    Long waited. I finally received the primary steering valve actuator today. P/N is 5593552 I will be fixing it soon and I won't fail to come give feedback as I have promised. Below is the picture.

  34. #34Nige2022-12-20 09:34

    I was only wondering the other day how you were getting on with your steering issue.

  35. #35nicky 68a2022-12-21 02:36

    Very intresting post by the OP and nice to be updated

  36. #36Acecadet2022-12-23 15:07

    I have encountered many of the same problems on 24m graders. Most of the time on our high hour units the spool that pushes on the module gets stuck in the bore. A good rubbing with scotch bright gets it going again. Any small deviation in spool position that the controller doesn’t agree with and it’s all over. Such a complicated way to steer a machine. How we ever landed on the moon I’ll never understand.

  37. #37Olori Joshua2023-01-06 07:33

    Was abandoned until now. We are currently fixing the valve actuator

  38. #38Olori Joshua2023-01-07 06:31

    That is how you would have won all stakes if anyone put their money on it. You were so sure that the actuator was the problem after all my explanations. I cannot thank you enough for the time you took in making sure my big 14M motor grader steering problem came to an end today. I want you to know that I appreciate. Thank you. To everyone that contributed, I appreciate you all. Yesterday I changed the actuator. We wanted driving it to test even though the fault codes had cleared but one of the implement hoses got burst and they had to replace it and others that were bad as well. Today we drove it round many times and steering system is working perfectly now. No more fault codes. I'm as happy as a newly wedded couple now. anyone might want to carry out all my troubleshooting process when have same problem and same fault codes next time. Thanks again.

  39. #39Olori Joshua2023-01-07 06:43

    View attachment 276969 Make no mistake of forgetting to remove the circled from the old actuator to the new one when you what to fix a new one. In the attached file below.

  40. #40Nige2023-01-07 07:51

    I’m glad that you finally got it fixed.

  41. #41Welder Dave2023-01-08 00:49

    Seems like the new actuator should have included that piece you mentioned. It's good you could transfer it to the new unit but seems to me it should have came with the new unit.

  42. #42Olori Joshua2023-01-08 06:56

    The new one before I fixed it. It didn't come with it.

  43. #43Nige2023-01-08 09:28

    The hollow dowel he’s pointing out is actually part of the steering control valve body, not the actuator. The problem is that when the actuator is removed 9 times out or 10 the dowel comes with it.

  44. #44nicky 68a2023-01-08 16:05

    Glad you got your grader going and nice to see this forum working well in assisting you. It’s how it should be every time. Good thread

  45. #45megahed2024-01-17 13:12

    Could i know the function of steering actuator in grader 14m

  46. #46Nige2024-01-17 14:18

    It controls the flow of oil to the steering cylinders.

  47. #47Blue-Fox2024-01-21 02:10

    NICE WORK PEP JOE. Def was not an easy task to sort it out. Perserverance always pays off.

  48. #48Olori Joshua2024-01-21 03:08

    Thank you

  49. #49Olori Joshua2024-01-27 05:46

    Thank you.

  50. #50bigrus2025-01-02 01:09

    Not big job, just a long job. Glad to see it's on the go again.

  51. #51Olori Joshua2025-01-09 11:07

    Yea thank you