Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 160H tranny trouble

Cat21 ยท 2017-01-03 23:34

Hey there. I've got a 160h 2001 model. The Trans would only give me 2,3&6 forward but all gears in reverse until tonight. Thought I had a solenoid problem and was going to get to it soon but tonight I pulled it up to the shop to air up a tire and after I was done it would not move at all. I have a warning indicator light up. It is the one with the lightening bolt inside of the gear on the lower right corner of the dash panel. I am thinking it might be a low voltage issue because of the weather conditions with it being minus 25 Celsius here tonight. Possibly a frozen battery even though they were new in the fall. Any help would be appreciated. Please help.

Replies5
  1. #1Mark2502017-01-04 03:20

    Cat21 ,serial number please. from your description you have a problem with #1 clutch be it electrical or hydraulic could you give some history please. because there are variations between serial number ranges, the serial number is quite important in this case Mark

  2. #2Cat212017-01-04 09:09

    Hi Mark250. My serial number on this unit is 9EJ01298. I have the machine inside a shop thawing out this morning and hope to sort out the problem. First thing that I plan on doing is a voltage check on the batteries. Have you ever heard of a problem with the transmission gear selector in the cab? I have had a mechanic look at the coils and solenoids on the transmission last fall and he thought that everything was fine so therefore it must be the gear selector but this warning light last night and no movement at all is a new problem.

  3. #3zx240lc-32017-01-04 14:31

    you should be able to retrieve the codes from the dash by pressing the black push bottom on the top right of the gauge cluster behind the steering wheel. Any codes that show "service code" are active, all other codes will be stored codes. you'll have to be quick when looking but if you write them down and post them here I can help tell you what they will be for. I am having a similar issue with a 160H, please do post what you find wrong.

  4. #4Mark2502017-01-04 15:20

    from your serial number to retrieve fault codes you need to remove the cover over the ECM which is under the floor on the right hand side. look for a 4 pin connector plug and disconnect. jump pins #1 and #2. this will scroll through the active codes in the ECM and give you a flashing light in the dash. it is a two digit code .it will be 1 or a number of flashes for the first number then a 1 sec delay for the second number , if there is more than one code there will be a 3 second delay and then the next fault will be displayed. post your results back and we can go from there. with different serial numbers the methods to retrieve codes are different Mark

  5. #5Cat212017-01-05 13:12

    Cat 160 Tranny Trouble Hello Mark250 and ZX240 LC So far this is what I have done. I have replaced the coils on solenoids 1,6,7 which should give me first gear but I still have no movement. The fault indicator is still on. I have pressed the button behind the steering wheel as ZX 240LC indicated but no errors showed up on the dashboard. Perhaps I am not looking in the correct area of the dash. I will take the cover off of the floor panel now Mark250 and jump the pins as indicated. Is there perhaps something wrong with the main clutch solenoid or possibly something wrong with the clutch pedal assembly that is preventing a signal from going to the transmission? My cat dealer gave me a couple of pages from the service manual and it tells me that error code E01 is related to the main clutch. Thanks for the help guys. I will keep looking.