Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 16G?

Clawed Backster ยท 2010-01-02 06:53

I came across a Cat 16G advertised for sale recently, at least the owner said it is a "G" model. The weird part is that it has the old mechanical lift arms for the blade. I was under the impression that the G's all had hydraulic cylinders for the blade elevation. Am I all wet, or is he trying to pull a fast one? I have not gotten the serial # from him yet. I have not seen the machine in person yet, as it is quite a distance from me. I have only seen pictures.

Replies10
  1. #1JTL2010-01-02 09:34

    As far as I know, the 16G was the first all hydraloic blade built by Cat, I think in 74? The old 'knuckle buster' 16's serial number pre- fix was 49G if Im not mistaken. That could be what the seller has posted. Where did you find it? Is it a local dealler or on a equipment site? Any pics? Jason

  2. #2Clawed Backster2010-01-02 11:43

    Here she be, in all her um............glory?

  3. #3JTL2010-01-02 14:10

    Well its a good looking old 16, but its definitely not a G model! That would be a 49G serial pre-fix machine, where as the 16G is a 93U pre-fix, and all hydraulic. Sounds like the seller is a bit confused!

  4. #4hicrop102010-01-02 17:02

    That picture brings back alot of good memoryies.I spent alot of time on those old 16,they had plenty of power.

  5. #5Clawed Backster2010-01-02 17:25

    Anybody want to venture a guess as the value of it? assuming that everything works. I do know that it needs tires pretty badly(BIG $).

  6. #6Chris917862010-01-02 17:30

    hard to tell without seeing it in person

  7. #7JTL2010-01-02 20:58

    Whats the guy want, 80 or 90,000 bucks?

  8. #8Clawed Backster2010-01-02 23:24

    He wants an offer.

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2010-01-03 00:58

    I would say it might be worth $8,000 to $10,000 if it is in running condition. Then again, it is not my $$ one way or the other, just my opinion.

  10. #10Chris917862010-01-03 12:15

    Yea I was thinking somewhere around 10