I have a 2006 cat d6r series ll losing voltage between alternator and battery starts out ok then bat light starts flashing and voltage drops at bat.
Regulator/rectifier package inside the alternator..?
There is also a prolem with the fuse panel and shows up right after a rain corrosion the water gets in when the dust isnt kept cleaned out of the box r/s of the dozer.
I've had several alternators start off fine and lose voltage when they warm up, then work fine when you test it after it's cooled off, especially Nippon Denso, for whatever reason Delco just seem to die and be done. If you mean you're really losing voltage BETWEEN the alternator and battery (alt working, but bat still drops), just feel the wires for the heat and that's where you cut into them. Or run a jumper straight from the big terminal on the alternator to the battery and see what that does.
Thanks I am losing between the alt.- bat. Alt is putting out about 28 volts about 25 at bat but when bat light starts flashing alt is still at 28 but bat are around 22 v
Loose or corroded terminal? Could be anywhere on that wire, as far as I know, the alternator wire always goes directly to the battery, with only a fusible link in between. sorry I don't know Cats, so you'll have to trace the wire yourself. That's way too much voltage drop to start with, you're not getting much if any current into the battery from 25 volts, so you can work on this cold, it's not working cold and failing when it gets hot.
Hi resistance in the Alt feed wire, check ends and connectors first. Later Bob