Hi, I’m currently in the process of buying an excavator for farm use and came across a nice looking Cat 205LC. I went to see it yesterday and while driving it I noticed that the slew brake wasn’t working at all to stop the machine from turning in either direction. It was parked on a slope and made no effort to keep the machine in one position. I also tried applying the foot brake, but that didn’t work either. I’m wondering is this a normal issue in excavators and if so, is it an expensive repair? Thanks.
S12wrc, I have a 205LC also, that when I purchased it, the slew brake worked fine. Now it doesn't work at all. I removed the cylinder and the pilot valve is supplying pressure but the mechanism in the drum will not apply the brake. I've tried penetrating oil and heat and I cannot pull the drum. I don't want to risk breaking the drum. There is a cap over the splined shaft, that if I ever get it apart, will get an o-ring groove machined on the under side to prevent water from rusting the spline ever again. I think my issue is in the cam that actuates (separates) the brake shoes.
I have a 205 that has been parked since November and the slew brake seems to be stuck on, big time.
Do you have any manuals for it.? In the absence of that do you have a Serial Number.?
I will have a look for a serial number but I am away for 10 days now Nige
From your reply I take it you have no manuals.?
*3HC00430* IS MY SERIAL NUMBER AND SHE IS AN LC. I dont have any manuals ! The brake pedal has a hydraulic valve on the bottom wits one feed from the I assume pump and two pipes that run under the machine to the engine compartment. I guess that the brake mec is part of the slew motor but with all the crap, leaves and oil I have not been in there yet.
OK, so a complete Service Manual is Cat Publication reference SENR3168. Here's a link to one for sale on eBay . Note that the above manual covers machines with Serial Numbers 3HC and 4DC among others. I found the attachments below under 4DC (there was nothing listed under 3HC) but it appears they should also work for your machine. I don't guarantee 100% compatibility but it's better than what you have right now. On another note how's the weather on The Rock.? Did the boat go today.? Are Tesco's shelves empty yet by folk panic-buying.?
Slow down before you get too deep in trouble shooting. My 320C did the same thing when I got it...for me, there was a switch that was "on" and allowed free movement of the slew...on a slope it was maddening. Flipped that switch as all was good. Check your switches before you go too far. Check this thread...it also has a video of what my CAT was doing: HeavyEquipmentForums
Hold on a mo. This is a 200-Series non-electronic machine from the 1980s we are talking about here. It only has a very basic electrical system and doesn't even have the switch you are referring to. Even the swing brake is external to the swing motor. It is an external spring-applied brake and is mounted on top of the swing drive box with the motor on the bottom.
WoW Thanks I will get on to this now. You Obviously know the Rock well and I can tell you that it is wet cold and blowing wild this morning! And Tesco shelves will be getting empty again!
Thanks Garry I will but mine is quite old and doesnt have fancy stuff BUT I will check. Thanks for your help.
OK, in my ignorance, I gotta ask...when would you need to disable a slew brake? Operation or service? I'm hardly an operator. I can run one but that's not what I do.
Blowing a right hooley you mean.......
Now you have to be a local Nige! You may have met up with a cousin of mine in the CAT market . He is living up in Sterling now. Ian Dalrymple ? Just had his 80th birthday.
When it is stuck to f__k at 90 degrees to the tracks at the bottom of a farm track about a mile from the steam cleaner! Thats one time that springs to mind Tony.
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1812481342801054 Beautiful day here Nige
I was a Comeover for many years but now apparently I'm classed as a Stopover......!! I now feel perfectly entitled to tell moaners "there's a boat in the morning".
Well Welcome is all I can say coz, you sound like the Island ant the people on this rock have benefited from your decision to stay. Good On Ya !