Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 215 power issues

jmoney86 ยท 2013-07-10 00:52

I just bought my first trackhoe, a 1982 215 Caterpillar. It seems to be a pretty fair old machine, and for right now it's just a pit machine. It was pretty weak when I first brought it home, but I've since changed all the filters, and it helped out a lot. The only real issue now is the boom and bucket are extremely weak and slow compared to the swing and the stick. The boom and bucket really lug the motor down and are throwing off my load cycles. The right pilot stick that controls both of the problematic functions is leaking a little, but I doubt that would be the culprit. I have a sneaking suspension that it's either a stuck valve or a wore out pump, what do you guys think?

Replies3
  1. #1ANDREW C2013-07-10 00:59

    Start by checking your pilot pressures then your main relief and circuit reliefs.

  2. #2Bob/Ont2013-07-10 17:39

    How many pumps are on the back of the engine? Two piston pumps and a double gear pump in the center? Two piston pumps and a smaller single gear pump or two pumps in one big housing? Later Bob

  3. #3Construct'O2013-07-10 19:17

    On the old 225 i use to have you could shim up the pumps to get a little more pressure and time out of them before rebuild.Been a long time ago,but i thought they use to have dual pumps one run the travel and the other ran all the hydraulic ,boom.stick,swing,and bucket?????