i recently bought a cat 215 at an auction it needs some tlc but its only for use around the farm cleaning up some fence rows Got it home and was moveing it around and the one track dont drive and it wont swing while tracking any help would be appreciated
Will both tracks drive when not using any functions? If both tracks drive can they steer(turn and counter rotate)? Later Bob
Only one track drives at any time When I move the stick to one side The track that works will reverse But move it the other way and nothing Also the is a fair bit of oil leaking From around the pedals on the floor Will that make not ?
Do all other functions work okay? Will it swing when not traveling? Lift the dead track off of the ground and try driving that side forward and reverse. Listen for any noise. There is a travel disconnect on each pinion for towing a dead machine. Does your machine have two individual pumps or two pumps in one housing with a suction line on the face of it? Later Bob
All the functions work while sitting still It has two separate pumps with suction Tubes on the top of them And a small Pump in the middle Were do I find This pinion disconnect ? Thanks for The reply
That helps a bit but there is a big gap in my knowledge here. The most of the 200 series had a separate swing pump but the 215&225 pure summing with Cat pumps and all with Rexroth pumps used a main pump for swing and there fore had a Logic circuit I know nothing about except that when you are traveling(both pumps) and use any other circuit it shares the oil so everything works. It could be the lack of drive on one side is allowing the oil flow dedicated to the swing to bypass. If you try to travel straight on hard level ground what happens? does it move, does the dead track turn/coast along? do you hear a popping and banging noise in the lines? Later Bob
It tracks good with one on hard ground Not a noise of any kind When u speak Of a travel disconnect at the pinion It made me think it was it If there was Something wrong in the track drive It should make a noise
If you look on the inside of each final drive unit you will find a large thrust plug (ref #1 in the photo) slap bang in the centre. Remove the plug. On the outside and down below the plug at about 45-deg there should be an extractor bolt screwed into the final drive housing (ref #2 in the photo). Installing the bolt into the hole where you removed the plug and tightening it will pull the sun gear for that final drive out of engagement. Sometimes it is easier to lift the track in question off the ground when you are pulling the sun gear out of engagement as it takes any load off the final drive. I suggest that you should not disconnect both final drives at the same time unless the tracks are properly secured to prevent the machine from moving.
Now that you refreshed my memory Nige, that plug should have a long stem on it to hold the drive in place. If that is intact I would suggest taking the covers off of the drive motors. The motor and brake assem has 4 hoses connected to it. Two drive hoses a medium size case drain hose and the smallest a brake release hose. Take the brake release hose off and plug it, then try to move the machine, look for the track to lock up or the hyd to load up if you drive the dead side only. Later Bob
Thanks lot for the replays guys I'll Have a look at that I still wondering Y it won't swing or move the boom While tracking ?
Try swing and boom while only driving the good track. Steering control to first detent for pivot turn, not full over for counter rotate. Later Bob
I just tryed to get the beast running To check it and it looks like the fuel Drains back while sitting. It started And ran for a min the quit So now I'm chargeing the batteries I'll try Again latter today
That was the way most of the early 215's were from the factory, if you have the drive pedal all the way pressed down and traveling non of the other functions (boom, stick, bucket, swing) will move, if you half way press the drive pedal down the other functions will work, a bit slower, but its better than nothing if your stuck or in a tight spot. They won't all work in tandem like a new machine. I think you do have a track motor problem though, both tracks should move when 1 pedal is pressed.
Thanks movendirt I think your right I just had it running and if u press the Pedal half way it'll still swing and move The boom But the one track is Completely dead when u hold the Stick so it is the only one suppose to B turning I can see the oil lines Going to the centre swivel move but no Action at the track If I took the Two bolts out that hold that hyd motor On will the motor come off there ? If it would I could see if the motor was Spinning I can't b just weak because It won't move at all even when I lift it Off the ground
You can take it off but might get a lot of oil coming out. You can check the final drive from the brake down by taking off and pluging the brake release hose. Then try moving, if brake is good and drive is solid the track should not turn. If you try just driving the dead side do you hear the hyd load up? Later Bob
Logic valve puts the total output to the travel. Also bumps up the pressure at the main relief. Take the bucket and hook a tooth in one track to 2block it. Try to walk and listen for the rushing noise (prolly the swivel) where the heat and the noise is coming from is your prolem. Swivel seals will prolly fix this.
I can hear a very very little difference When I try to move the dead track Only I'll try the brake test as soon As I get a chance So if the brake Holds the track does that mean the Drive motor is done ?
If the brake holds the track from moving everything from the brake on down is solid. Caution move gently and look for resistance, the brake could be worn and not strong while still working. So far we have oil flow since the hoses flex while powering the dead track with out movement and at the same time hear no hyd loading. If that is true, sounds like something is open inside the motor. If you had some one to help you could take off and plug the case drain lines and run them into a pail, load up the drive. Compare the amount of oil coming out of each drive. If you follow the brake release line back up above the swivel you should find the brake control valve. The brake valve has a stem with a square end on it, you can turn it in and lock the brakes. Try and make sure it will hold the brakes before testing. Later Bob
So if I lock the brakes on at the vavle Does that lock both tracks ? If so I Would need to undo and plug the line For the dead side to test it only right ?
Yes the valve will prevent the release oil form getting to both brakes, use this test if you want to check case drain flow(internal motor leakage) and compare. Take a brake line off of the brake on the dead side to test the final drive. Later Bob
Thanks a lot Bob for the info it maybe A day or so before I get back to try The brake test Looking at your post I see your from ontario Is that ontario Canada ? If so could I call u sometime And talk about this thing this being My first excavator I see there's lots to Learn
yes send a Private Message. I'm from the one in Canada Eh! Later Bob