I'm looking at a Cat 215LC with a blown motor (model 3304, arrangement 6A6501), I found a generator for a good price and it has a 3304 engine but its a 7N3274 arrangement. Will it go into the excavator or do I need to swap the injector pump and other parts? Will it even go into it? TIA
You should swap injector pump as governor is different
The 6A6501 made my ears prick up a bit because i don't think that was ever an engine arrangement that was used in any model of 215 excavator. What are the Serial Numbers of both the excavator and the engine please.?
I know that it was a rebuilt engine put into the excavator, I'll see if I can get a serial off of it when I go past it.
In addition to Serial Numbers of the machine and engine see if you can get some photos of the engine as well. Does it have a turbo.?
no turbo, its serial 48V44919
I'm planning to swap the motor where it sits, I have access to a boom truck or I can use my loader tractor. Is there much beyond breaking the motor loose from the pump and mounts? Looks like it just lifts straight out.
Do you have a Serial Number for the machine yet.?
To expand a bit on why a S/N for the machine is important. I have double checked and can confirm that the 6A6501 engine arrangement was never used on the 215. It is a 225 engine arrangement and as such it is/was originally turbocharged when installed in that model. The fact that you have a 6A6501 sans turbo currently in the machine means that it's a ba$stard stepchild that someone has "modified" to make it work in a 215. The $64k question is "how".? With a machine Serial Number I can tell you what the original 215 engine arrangement actually was and maybe help to identify something that could be made into a close resemblance to the original power plant.
I'll see if I can swing by where its parked this weekend and get the number off of it.
Serial on the excavator is 96L3337
As I suspected the original engine arrangement installed in 96L3337 was 5C0245, a non-turbo engine producing 95 BHP. That's the arrangement you should be looking to match with a replacement engine. The genset engine produces even more confusion.... The only place 7N3274 Arrangement pops up is in a 2B-prefix 3304 industrial engine, not a 48V-prefix engine. Additionally 48V is a prefix for a machine engine, not a genset, so it appears as though the genset engine isn't original either. Is the data plate for it on the valve mechanism cover.?
Its on the block below the head
OK, so the plate belongs to the cylinder block. Back to what I asked earlier about exactly what a previous owner had done to the 6A6501, apart from removing the turbo, to turn it into something that would work in the 215. To repeat the engine arrangement that SHOULD be in your 215 is a 5C0245.
Can you post a photo of it please.?
The ID plate on the generator motor
The ID plate on the blown motor on the excavator
OK, so by Serial Number the genset engine is actually classified as an Industrial Engine built for 60Hz genset service. Interestingly the 2B prefix originally started life as a D330C model and morphed into a 3304 during the production run. I'm trying to find out what Serial Number that change was officially made. According to the Test Spec Numbers I found the 2B engine is rated somewhere around the 100 BHP mark, slightly higher than the 91 BHP of the original 215 engine. As @Dave Neubert mentioned earlier the fuel injection pump from the engine currently in the excavator will need to be used because the FIP in the genset will be governed to run at a constant 1800RPM. Whether the injectors in the genset engine will function adequately when used with the different FIP is anybody's guess. It may be possible to just swap the governor from the FIP on the excavator engine rather than swapping the complete pump. The two injection pumps appear to be the same on paper but may differ slightly in the flesh so to speak. The governors are most definitely different.
Above 2B4364 the engines are listed as 3304, so 10011 is well into 3304 production. As far as I can tell even the very last versions of 2B-prefix engines used precombustion chambers, there were none with direct injection.
So in theory it will work, swap over the governor, bell housing and accessories and its good to go
Correct, but you might find quite a number of potential trips between theory and practice. Oil pan, dipstick, crankshaft pulley, front housing, etc, etc. the only way to tell might be to take lots of photos of the two engines and start looking for differences.