First time posting on this great site. I have a 2006 216b that unfortunately experienced a catastrophic engine failure at only 346 hours. Even though its a 2006 it has very low hours. I was working the machine which developed an unusual slight ticking sound which quickly developed to a hard knock in seconds resulting in engine stall before I could shut down. From what I can gauge from a quick (disheartening) inspection, I threw a rod off of the crank which piled against the block in the number 4 cylinder cracking the block just above the oil pan....FML. So now I need to pull this engine out. One of my first questions I need to ask is there a way to disengage/bypass the hydraulics to push this machine the 100 feet into my shop. Every where I have read seems to state there is no hydraulic release valve or anything and people just move the dead machine slowly with brute force...In my situation i would likely have to push it with my excavator. Any help with this would be appreciated! I went down to the Local CAT shack to see if there is any chance they can throw some good will my way with at least a replacement block or something like that. They stated they will get back to me. Im not holding my breath but with that low hours I guy sure can hope! They stated a new replacement engine would be $11K Canadian....
ouch! another perkopillar bites the dust. I'd drain the hyd system, and pull the hoses off the motors. Oil eill be lost, but better outside the shop, than in...
I don't know if that engine counts as a Perkapillar, it is made for Cat by Perkins and it is made by Perkins for IHI Shibaura and they seem to be pretty good engines but stuff happens from time to time. They may also be license built, never can tell any more.
I just finished a Perkins in a Asv Rc 50 and it was around 13k out the door. Is there no machine around to push/pull it. Is this a track or tire machine?
There are countless numbers of these engines that have experienced catastrophic failure. It is what they do.
I had the same thing happen to my 248 at 1200 hours, you might find this thread interesting: HeavyEquipmentForums If you don't get help from the dealer try writing to corporate, that's what got them to help me.
ASV RC 50 is a mid sized rubber tracked loader...
The easiest way to drag your excavator is to remove the bolts on the sprockets and let them slip on the hub and no they won't come off if you are carefull but no splita$$ turning. This way you maybe able to remove the engine leavening the pumps hooked up.
Hello Steve, Im not getting any warm and fuzzy feelings from my local CAT shack. Im very interested on who you contacted in "Corporate". Dou you happen to have an email address or phone number or even traditional post address? I would like to pursue this issue but make sure Im pointed in the right direction. It seems the more I look into it the more failures I see with these motors...
I went to the Cat website and somewhere on it there was a contact form to fill out. I wasn't getting any help from the dealer initially but within a week of writing Corporate the dealer called me and wanted me to come in to talk. Apparently my email had gotten to someone pretty high up the food chain and they rattled the cage at the dealer, they bent over backwards to help me after that.
Thanks Steve! Im going to search the web site today and see if I can get any kind of help.
There were lots of issues on those engines right from the start. I remember some kind of policy on them where the costs of replacement were shared. It has been a long time since those machines came out but maybe you will get lucky.
I have a friend who bought a 236B and the motor blow in the first 200 hours. He got it replaced but it was a dog fight. At this point, I would really be surprised if CAT does anything, just given the age of the machine. It was hard for CAT to not do something when the machines were newer, but the older they get the easier it is for them to walk away from them.
Just thought I would post an update. I had a technician perform a CAT ET diagnostic on my skid steer to determine if there was any indicators or symptoms leading to the engine failure. The diagnostic scan came back clean with no evidence of a problem which would have caused this failure. The only thing that the diagnostic really confirmed was that there is only 300 + hours on the machine. I have since forwarded this diagnostic scan to Corporate CAT. As such, the local CAT sales man contacted me and wants to meet up to take some pictures of my skidsteer. Hopefully they will throw a little good will my way and restore some of my faith in CAT. Fingers crossed....
So CAT has refused any actions of goodwill toward my cause. So here is my next question for you all. I live in northern BC Canada and have tracked down some replacement engine options from Aerohill out of Toronto. I can get a rebuilt engine for $6k or brand new engine for $9.5K. Both come with a one year warranty. Im just curious if anybody has had any luck with one of these engines rebuilt? Clearly my original engine could not make it to 400 hours so i dont have much confidence in spending the extra money for a new one....
Mijo, if the cost is coming out out of your pocket then why not repower it with another engine? Yanmar or Kubota could be options.
Good thought. Isuzu is my favorite for generator engines in this size class.
Hmmm, I never really thought of that. I am paying out of my own pocket... I will be replacing the engine myself add I was just looking for an easy switch out with no special fabrications. I would assume that any engine other than original would require some kind of fabrication either on motor mounts, throttle linkage, exhaust routing etc...Please let me know if Im wrong
If you go down the repower road then nodoubt some fabrication will be required but at least you won't be powering it with another Cat lemon.
I once saw a 226 with a Duetz in it. would have loved to get some close ups of it but it had 70hp.
I would put a rebuilt engine back in it for 6K and dump it. If you repower it, you have to fab it in and resale will take a huge hit cause few people want a machine that has been specially fabricated to install a different engine. It simply would not be worth it unless you plan on keeping it forever in which case a different engine option becomes more viable. Still the PINTA tax is always high on those types of conversions and personally the machines are not worth the effort in my opinion.
Following up on this. I have a new replacement perkins engine coming that I bought directly from DiPerk out of Vancouver Canada. I was hesitant to go with another perkins but they assured me that the new tier 4 engine is the best and all glitches with the oil pumps have been worked out.... They are also offering me a 2 year/3000 hour warranty and giving me a full refund on my core even though my block is cracked and the engine seized. Its supposed to be a plug and play engine which is what i was after just for ease of install. So, with the engine coming Im currently scouring this site for tips on engine removal. If any body has any tips on engine removal or a relevant link that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
anyone on this thread have the rebuild Specifications on the 3024CT Perkins Engine?
Just an FYI, I have a Caterpillar 216 it has the 3024C engine as well. This engine is a Shibaura, Perkins, Caterpillar joint build. The engine starts as a Shibaura N844L, the other matches are Perkins 404-22, and finally Caterpillar 3024C. I had a New Holland tractor that needed a rebuild due to a spun rod bearing and I was able to buy a brand new N844L for $3,000 as the EPA wants these engines out of circulation due to emission regulations. Just a thought if you are looking for manuals or parts.
Whered'ya pick up that motor, for that price? I gotta ASV RC30, wif a 3013 Cat, might be looking for one for it, sometime soon.
It was from a New Holland dealer out of Luray, Virginia. I cannot remember the name of the business but they are still in business, they are the one's who pointed me in the direction of buying a new engine as they knew about the EPA wanting all these new engines gone.
Ridgeview, Rockingham, or Louderback?
Louderback, remember they are a New Holland Tractor Dealer.
Thanks, I'll put this in my memory, in case my perkopiller pukes!
I think the Shibaura built engines are great. The ones used in Ford/New Holland tractors from the late 80’s to early 2000’s are some of the best small Diesel engines ever built. They rival yanmar and anyone else in that day and time. Some of the more current issues could be related to the stricter emission requirements, I am not sure as I do not own newer machines. The only reason I had to replace the engine in my tractor is because the lady I bought it from grandson tried to bush hog a field with no oil in the tractor due to a deteriorated oring on the drain plug bolt and I guess he didn’t notice all the oil on the ground before starting.