Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 224 wheeled excavator for farm use?

davejo ยท 2020-10-16 09:07

I'm wondering what the limitations of a wheeled excavator would be when used in offroad conditions. I was starting to scan for a cheap old excavator for farm/hobby use and the most likely candidates locally are Cat 225 machines. ~$10k My neighbor knew of a wheeled excavator closeby so I drove out to see what it was. The machine in question is obviously old but looks to be somewhat care for. There's a big hammer and a thumb resting next to it. Is it capable of working the same terrain/ground conditions as my 2wd backhoe? I'm wondering if I will be sinking into the ground trying to run around fencelines and ponds.

Replies6
  1. #1Per Eriksson2020-10-16 11:39

    Not sure what model you looked at, to my knowledge cat didn't make a 225 model on wheels? But it all depends on the type of tires, with the standard 10.00-22,5 they are basically useless outside asphalt and gravel. Put a set of 650/45-22,5 trelleborgs on and it's an whole other story, then they can move forward with mud up to the axles.

  2. #2Per Eriksson2020-10-16 11:41

    Oh, found the 225 model and I can assure with that weight it will sink as soon as you touch the grass with the original wheels.

  3. #3davejo2020-10-16 12:40

    Yes the 225 track machines i mentioned were in comparison to this 224

  4. #4Nige2020-10-16 13:36

    Not a lot of info on them in the PHB. About 20% lighter than a 225 track machine by all accounts. Still probably a bit heavy on ground pressure as soon as you get off any solid surface though.

  5. #5Delmer2020-10-16 14:15

    I'll guess it will work in the same conditions as a 2wd backhoe. The difference is a 2wd backhoe can get itself out of almost anything, this won't crawl out of muck as well. If you're willing to lug railroad ties to block it up when you get stuck near a pond, then it would work just as well. Or if you're willing to be real careful about using it only when dry, it could be a great buy for you.

  6. #6CatKC2020-10-16 14:39

    If you are comparing a 2wd backhoe to a wheeled excavator, it would depend on how 'swampy' your area is. Heavy things tend to SINK (get stuck easier) quicker in wet areas. . . . depending on the tires and PSI . TRACKED things have less PSI pressure and a broader 'footprint' so they sink slower. (everything can/will sink/get stuck) I would not consider having ANYTHING WHEELED around my 11 ponds. A -2wd anything- does not work here. Backing up a hill in a -2wd tractor- will not work, especially in wet grass. When there's snow or ice. . . .