Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 225 sn#51u725 stick boom cylinder shaft nut

Vernon Lowe · 2022-10-03 20:27

What size is the nut on the stick boom cylinder rod end?

Replies13
  1. #1heymccall2022-10-04 00:18

    Stick boom??? I has no idea which cylinder that means, so I picked a stick cylinder. Nut is #6.

  2. #2Nige2022-10-04 04:36

    Cylinder nomenclature. Which one are you talking about, I assume either 2 or 3.? 1 - Boom 2 - Stick 3 - Bucket

  3. #3Vernon Lowe2022-10-04 06:55

    the first cylinder on top of the main boom looking from the operator seat

  4. #4Vernon Lowe2022-10-04 06:56

    #2

  5. #5Vernon Lowe2022-10-04 06:58

    does drive 4 inches mean the nut takes a 4 inch socket to remove the nut?

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-10-04 14:37

    I would think so with a 2 3/4" thread size. It will take some really, really serious torque.

  7. #7Nige2022-10-04 16:09

    The nut is nyloc so it will take quite a bit more force to remove than it would to tighten. Probably somewhere in the region of 3000 ft lbs. TBH this type of assembly is better taken to a hydraulic shop that has a cylinder bench. They would be tooled up for loosening/tightening this size of hardware. If you re-use the nut it should really go back with a touch of Loctite. Below the tightening specs for the nut and the bolt. The latest spec says "tighten nut to 500 ± 50 lb.ft. then tighten the nut 35 ± 5° more.

  8. #8Nige2022-10-04 16:10

    Do you have a Parts Manual.? If not I can post the parts breakdown of the stick cylinder if it will help.

  9. #9Nige2022-10-04 16:14

    Yes.

  10. #10Vernon Lowe2022-10-04 19:09

    No I don’t ,thank you

  11. #11heymccall2022-10-04 19:40

    Did I pick the wrong one?

  12. #12Vernon Lowe2022-10-04 19:55

    I think it’s correct

  13. #13Nige2022-10-05 00:52

    Sorry, brain fart. That was the right one.