Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 225 sprocket rebuilding

DSC55 · 2021-02-18 12:37

Is there a way to roll the sprocket without having to start up the motor.

Replies13
  1. #1Welder Dave2021-02-18 13:06

    If you're looking at building up the sprocket with weld, it's easier to just replace the sprocket or see if a weld on sprocket rim is available. I found below in an older thread from Bob/Ont who is dearly missed on here. "If all else fails and you only need it moved the final drive pinion can be disengaged and machine towed CAREFULY. In that condition it rolls freely and you have no control over that." Later Bob Cat 225 won't budge. | Heavy Equipment Forums

  2. #2DSC552021-02-18 13:31

    It’s an on the farm hoe that the sprocket was not too bad, just wanted to build it back up to specs before I put the new chain on. Thanks for the reply

  3. #3Welder Dave2021-02-18 17:20

    Sprockets are generally one of the lower cost items when doing the undercarriage. Doesn't seem worth the time or trouble to try and build up sprocket teeth, especially on the machine. You'd need to use special build up rods so they wouldn't mushroom and then you'd have to grind all the pockets the same to match the rails. Not sure which model of 225 you have but found a weld on sprocket rim in a quick search. You could check with your chain supplier or other undercarriage shops as well. 3T9153, OK483 Caterpillar 225 Sprocket Rim - AMT Equipment Parts - Equipment Replacement Parts

  4. #4lantraxco2021-02-18 20:13

    6-3/4" or 7" (6.91) or 7-1/2" or 8" pitch chain? ITR has stock on most sprocket rims, CHEAP

  5. #5DSC552021-02-19 08:46

    It’s a 235, I looked at weld on and because of the amount of tooth left- 1/3- thought I could just do some buildup. Now That I’m almost done I’m wishing I had gone with the 300$ weld on.

  6. #6DSC552021-02-19 08:48

    My first trackhoe, and won’t ever leave my 500acre farm so a lot of traveling isn’t a concern.

  7. #7Bluox2021-02-19 17:17

    Look on top of the final case toward the front side of the sprocket , there will be a oblong plate with a hex drive on it and 2 bolts holding it down. Take the 2 bolts out and turn the plate 180 degrees and put the bolts back in ,this takes the gear train out of gear and the brake won't work. Make sure you turn this plate back before you run machine. Good Luck Bob

  8. #8lantraxco2021-02-20 03:36

    There's a trick I did not know about!

  9. #9DSC552021-02-21 08:36

    Wasn’t able to locate the oblong plate on the final drive.

  10. #10Bluox2021-02-21 11:53

    do you have a 225 or a 235? Bob

  11. #11DSC552021-02-21 19:07

    235

  12. #12Bluox2021-02-21 19:28

    Well no wonder you couldn't find that plate it's on a 225. On a 235 look in the middle of the bearing retainer on the sprocket side of the final gearcase ,the one that the drive motor is mounted on the inside. In the middle of that flange is a plug, take the plug out and tighten the nut down should take the final out of gear. Bob

  13. #13DSC552021-02-22 07:44

    Thanks, it warmed up enough to start her up to rotate, I put the new chain on , ready to put some tension on it to tell how well it follows the teeth. Yesterday it was stiff and cold, like me.