Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 225 track drive leak

jmh ยท 2014-08-08 07:42

I have a cat 225. Each track drive motor has 2 large hoses and 2 (I think - I have not taken off the cover in a while) small hoses. There is a chrome plated fitting with a mushroom shaped head which I assume is a relief/check valve which suggests to me the smaller hoses are suction lines to collect fluid that lubricates the bearings. While the small hoses don't appear to leak - they are not in fantastic condition as the outer layer appears dilapidated. An occasional puff of hydraulic fluid was coming out of the check valve when it was driven in one direction. Now it has gotten to the point where it must be fixed. Is anyone familiar with this model and the functions of the various hoses - particularly the small ones? Also how much work is it to rebuild the hydraulic motor and are seal kits availible for it? Thanks, John

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2014-08-08 09:13

    The hoses are as follows: - 1. 2 large hoses - reverse and forward travel. Depending on direction of travel one hose is feed and the other is return. 2. Small hose #1 - travel brake release. 3. Small hose #2 - travel motor case drain. I would not attempt to rebuild one of these hydraulic motors unless you are familiar with how they work and have the necessary tools and a very clean workshop to do the teardown. They are extremely complex inside and therefore easy to screw up. Here's what a typical 225 track motor lines from the centre swivel to the travel motors looks like. There are many different variants of machines so in order to give better advice it would be good to have the machine Serial Number, or at least the Serial Number prefix.

  2. #2jmh2014-08-08 11:20

    Nige, Thank you for the information. Is the travel motor case drain under suction? If that were the case, a leaking or kinked line might be the cause of the leak - probably better than a leaking motor (you can see I'm still holding hope for an easier fix). The s# prefix is 51U

  3. #3Nige2014-08-08 11:54

    No suction on case drain, it's open to tank. Piston-type hydraulic motors leak internally by design. Positive pressure in the motor pushes oil back to the tank. It may we worthwhile checking the case drain line all the way back to the tank to ensure it is not obstructed in any way, plus it looks like your tank has a valve in it (on the top close to the filler cap) to maintain a positive pressure inside it, it helps with implement pump suction when the oil gets hot. Maybe worthwhile to check that valve to make sure it's not stuck closed.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-08-08 13:24

    Is there a breather on the final drive case or the brake housing? Probably have a leaking shaft seal? Just a guess from your description, I don't know 225's

  5. #5Bob/Ont2014-08-08 22:33

    Leak is coming from breather/Mushroom in the break. Remove the motors and reseal the breaks. Later Bob

  6. #6jmh2014-08-09 11:32

    Is the brake a separate portion of that motor assembly? Over the years I have rebuilt a few engines & transmissions and done thousands of water conditioner controls and valves so I do not tend to shy away from these type of repairs. That said, you can't even fix a hose on the 225 without several jigs... I'd be appreciative if someone had an exploded diagram and or proceedure for the motor repair so I can consider how to proceed.

  7. #7Bob/Ont2014-08-09 15:27

    Brake is separate from motor. Later Bob