Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 225d motor exchange

EARTHWORM ยท 2015-04-01 22:56

I NEED to switch motors on my cat 225d mine is 165 hp the one I found is 250 hp is 75 hp going to mess my excavator up ? if I want the same hp I have to switch cams that's going to be spendy any ideas thanks ew

Replies3
  1. #1Mobiltech2015-04-02 23:42

    Do you have any serial numbers of engines and machine. I don't think the cam would make the difference in power on a cat engine. Usually it's a turbo added or fuel settings and injectors. As long as you keep the engine rpm the same at full throttle I wouldn't be to concerned about the extra power.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-04-03 01:39

    Yeah, just use a little common sense and watch for heat, if either the engine or hyd oil heat up, back out of it a bit.

  3. #3repowerguy2015-04-03 06:16

    That motor will be a turbo model so exhaust system mods will be necessary. If it came from a truck app. it won't have a variable speed gov. so it won't hold part throttle rpm very well. If anything else it will be a good swap for a better running machine ,I love a good repower! There is always room for a power boost on any machine IMHO. Let us know how the power up goes.